Spare VHF Antenna on '95 282?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare VHF Antenna on '95 282?

On my family's 282 we have what appears to be a spare antenna(8' long) located in the starboard recessed rod storage. It is located at the bottom and is connected to a wire that runs out the bottom rear of the storage.

I am wondering why it is there and if I need it?? Is this a standard on Makos??

I replaced main antenna last year. If this other antenna is a saftey feature I need, I'll keep it, if not-it has to go!

Thanks in advance for your help![]
    \"Dr. Pheelgood\"[br]1995 mako 282[br](2)1995 200hp Mercs[br]

wrong forum maybe..

Comment

I Don't have a clue.

Comment

Can you trace the wire from it anywhere? Is there an AM/FM radio in the boat? Is there or was there a second VHF radio? It might have been a loran antenna? Not sure.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Thanks for the replies!!

Can you trace the wire from it anywhere? That is the first thing I will try saturday.

Is there or was there a second VHF radio? At present, no. In the past, I don't think so, we bought boat used so I don't know for sure.

Loran=possibility.

A little background on my situation. We are third owner of this boat all owners are people we know in our town. One guy had it for 6 years and used it 1 season as a "dingy" on his 100+ yaht then it sat. The next guy had it a few months before he decided it was too much, then enter me and my Dad. A 28 footer should be grown into! But this boat is so clean and rides so good that I have become attached to it. This website fires me up and i want to get the boat in tiptop shape. Season three for me and my new motto is simplify! We've been through wiring problems and the old Mercury's have had there share of aging pains but the boat is getting the TLC it deserves now.

Would love to post a picture but that is also stumping me!

Thanks for the forum to help me on this quest!

Roll Tide Roll

Neal

Comment

Is it a fairly thin metal "whip" antenna?

My guess is Loran. I say go buy a new one. you've already got the antenna installed.[]
            1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

No, it's a white fiberglass(?) antenna.

As for lorans, I bought a handheld Voyager off of EBAY. It works like a charm.

Comment

My next question would be is there a tower on the boat or some other type of location where a 2nd VHF would make sense?
                1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

No tower but a second VHF is a great idea, I was leaning towards a handheld for my ditch bag that i am compiling.

Wilson- Thanks for your help!

I am gonna take some pictures this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X