Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor went bang on independence day

Not a good day for me yesterday.

We were headed out for a day of fishing and about a mile out of the inlet I lost power and she started knocking. I sat for awhile wondering if I should call Sea Tow but decided just screw it and limped in.

I pulled the heads and found little bits of needle bearings inside, metal shavings everywhere. Not sure if getting towed would have helped, I would not rebuild this powerhead anyway. The lower unit has been acting up and at nine years old it looks like it is time to repower.

Dangit!!
    Larry S. - Fort Pierce, Florida[br]23 Contender

Bet you a nickle the oil injection failed. Problems like that used to never happen when we mixed our own oil/gas. If it did we at least could blame ourselves or the last person to fuel the boat. Sorry to hear about your motor.[] dave
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

inkahootz - sorry to hear about that. My lower unit went out two weeks ago. $1800 for a remanufactured unit is crazy money to spend on a 20 year old engine....btw, what kind of engine do you have? [8D]
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks for the condolences guys.

It is a 1996 Johnson 225.

I know what you are saying Sailor, I just can't see buying a reman powerhead for a nine year old motor. If I was an inshore guy then maybe I would feel better about it.

I had work done to the lower unit last season, Cost me over a grand for a new bearing and shift cable. I guess a big part of the expense was the in water testing they had to do in order to make sure it was ok.

I started shopping yesterday, so far the Suzuki 250 is winning price wise at $15000 for motor, ss prop, controls, guages, all installed.

Either my local dealer is greedy or Yamaha is just very proud of those things, I was quoted over $18000 just fot the motor on a F225.

Anyone know what a '96 Johnson 225 is worth for parts?

Comment

I would reconsider the powerhead option. That is actually a very reliable powerplant. You know the lower is good right?, A remanufactured Power head would put you back up in good shape. Run premix in her for the rest of your days and you should get another 10 years out of her. here are some prices

http://www.boatmotors.com/motorparts...225&disp=&cyl=

Good luck in what ever you decide. dave
          [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I am not sure about the lower unit m-dave.

Last season it was popping out of forward gear under load, so they went through the thing and replaced a bearing.

Same problem on very first trip, so I took it to another dealer and he said the shift cable was bad. That lasted a few months and now it is popping out of reverse.

I just don't know if I want to drop a lot of money into this motor.

Comment

inkahootz - I see michigan dave's point, however piece of mind offshore is invaluable. I have a '93 Johnson 200 that has VRO removed, my mechanic has looked over (tune-up, water pump, compression test, ect...) and has given a clean bill of health. I am gradually building comfort level - ran in river some, fished inshore, then went about 10 mile out, and last trip went 25 miles. From your posts it seems you have no confidence left in your motor, therefore if feasible I would repower and fish with a since of comfort. Just my $.02
              \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
              \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Since we're talkin' carb'd Johnsons, anyone know a good source to pick up a high quality 200hp rebuild, left over, or new ?

I'm a power freak, and ultimately want more muscle to push my Mako 201 than my solid, reliable 150 carb'd can do.

Comment

That would make 2 strikes against that 96,225, if the lower is questionable and the upper is bad its time to part it out. you should get some money for whats left. dave.

Comment

That is too bad, because a 96 Johnson 225 carb'd should run forever.

Comment

Search the internet for blackbird outboards. Read his info, call him. They seem pretty sharp and are very fond of the omc 225's. Im about to get one for my 21.

Patrick Barber
                      1978 Mako21[br]2001 200 Rude[br](under the knife)[br]1993 Proline 241[br]Yamaha F225[br]

Comment

Patrick is right on target here. Bought a reman 1996 Johnson 115 Oceanrunner several years ago from them, for our 17' Angler CC - up for sale shortly. Being located initially in PA, they have access to many fresh water motors.

http://1outboard.com/

Workmanship, performance and cosmetics are incredible, as our 115 looks and runs like new, even after three years. Talk with Mike, and he will probably advise you to send him your motor, for reman. You can recoup some investment here. Like Dave mentioned, these motors were built very well, and these folks have the expertise to bring it back to like new. I would guess in the 4 to 5K range.

We are in the same situation with our 88- 231. 1988 Yamaha Excel 225 Hp, 17 year old motor - who knows? Runs good now, just a matter of time with 460 hours. Mike mentioned several months back doing a reman on it for approx 5K. Believe me when that time comes, I will give them a call.

Randy
                        1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

Who quoted you that price for the Yamaha 250? Try Lentine Marine down here in Stuart. They were closer to 15800 with controls + another 600 to rig it. I'm waiting for my '89 225 Johnson to give up on my 231 also. Thinking twin 115 Yamahas with a bracket ... or a single 250. Top Notch Marine up in Fort Pierce seemed to have a reasonable price on a Suzuki 250.
                          1989 Mako 231[br]250 ETEC / Armstrong Bracket[br]Jensen Beach, Florida

Comment

Working...
                          X