Fuel growth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel growth?

Went kingfishing sat. boat ran great 20 miles out,on the way in at wot eng would miss. found fuel bulb weak but not flat, had to pump bulb every 2-3 miles. anyway inspection sun am what looked like water in fuel filter drained to find a redish like algae when drained filter no water. stopped at west marine for a new raycor filter element. is there anything i can put in tank to clean it? Help
    Carolinafishin[br]1978 Mako 25 CC[br]twin 225 rudes[br]Carolinabeach, NC[br]

Are you sure it wasn't rust?
    Sarasota, Florida

Comment

Funny you should talk about red gas. I just got my boat in the water this week and had not gone for a test ride yet, which was what I was going to do this morning. Motor would not stay running. Motor was not getting gas and being a fuel problem the first thing I changed was the Raycor which only had a few gallons through it - But as it turns out, the actual trouble was with the 2 new Tempo squeeze primer balls that I replaced this year. Believe it - both were bad and would not pass gas through the ball. Seemed to me that the valve inside the end of the balls were sticking closed. After the Raycor, I changed the squeez ball under the CC. Still would not pass enough gas to keep the motor running. I needed to change out the second one near the motor. All of this took about 5 hours to figure out today and 4 seperate trips into the river to test out the boat. Each time only to find that the motor was gas starved - and needed to pump up the ball to get back to the slip. Anyway, I did also notice the gas being red when I removed the balls and the Racore filter. Seemed to have a different smell also. I recently drained off about half the tank (to replace the gas tank level sensor) and put the gas into the cars and it ran OK. I probably need to get the tank filled and start using it. Has anyone else had problems with Tempo primer balls?? I have been using them for the last 25 years and never had a problem.

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

I had problems with a Tempo primer ball also. Finally bought a Quicksilver ball and the problem was solved. I had a lot of hours tied up trying to figure out what the problem was. Then, after I replaced the old ball with a Tempo, I still had the problem. I was stumped. Finally, I figure it had to be a bad ball and it was. I learned a good lesson then. REPLACE WITH ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT! My brother owns his own auto repair shop and he gives me hell when I go to a discount auto parts store for parts. He always tells me to go to NAPA and pay the few extra dollars for the BEST part. It's finally sinking in.
        Tony C.[br]S. Daytona, FL[br]Boatless...for now[br]

Comment

Tempo ball's are nortoris for that.

Never buy a Tempo ball. Buy the OEM for your motor.

Comment

I usually do use the OEM stuff but I was in Boaters World back in Feb and knew that this was the year to change out all the primer balls so I bought them. Won't do that again. The ones that I bought that solved my problems were OMC parts but I figured on a Sunday afternoon Yamaha or OMC - there wasn't much difference (don't think the motor would care). Luckly while I was searching around last night I found my receit for the 3 balls and you bet that I am taking the 2 I have left back to Boaters World for a refund.

Mike

Comment

I had the same problem and was told by a local dealer that the new additives they put in fuel today actually break down a lot of rubber components, soften them up and make the check ball stick.
              [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

If that's happening to the check valves etc. inside a new primer ball designed for the "New Gas", I wonder what it's doing to the rubber type parts and products inside the motors??? I may remove my primer balls this winter and store them dry inside the house.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X