Range of 19 footer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range of 19 footer

Maybe a dumb question, and certainly filled with all kinds of variables, but roughly what would you say a comfortable ocean range is for a Mako 19 in good weather? How far out do you/ have you all taken them?
    Steve[br]Scituate MA

Motor?? Age? HP? 2 or 4 Stoke? Comfort level in boat, with boat, and experience on water? I had a 16' Cape Horn w/3 cylinder yamaha 85 that I was comfortable going as far as it would go (31 gallons of fuel)on a good day in the Gulf of Mexico. Always with other boats, but it had been 30 miles out many times. It was a solid sturdy boat, with dependable motor, and good radio.

Now I did take much more & harder beatings and drank alot more saltwater, but deepsea fishing is in my blood.
    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Age, HP, motor, these are all some of the extraneous variables. Its a 1971 and currently has a 90HP Johnson 2 stroke, 33 gallon main tank. Im thinking its underpowered but I havent had the boat in the water since Ive owned it. Im thinking Ill have to repower, and in order to take it out any distance it would be safer to enclose the transom and add a bracket but I dont know. Right now Im just trying to get the boat in the water and that seems far off. Ive been reading a lot about near shore tuna
      Steve[br]Scituate MA

Comment

Without getting into the work you want to do to the boat, an old Johnson 90 with 33 gallons of fuel on that boat probably can't make a 30 mile fishing trip. Before I even considered a trip like that I will build confidence in my motor. I had many boat ride days in local rivers and a couple 10 mile out runs before taking my 224 25 miles offshore last weekend.

I don't think you would get any arguments on this form thinking boat would be safer with enclosed transom and bracket, and to repower with Direct Inject or 4 stoke will definately increase range.

Good Luck!
        \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
        \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Just load it up with auxillary tanks everywhere, and run out to the distant canyons - 100 miles plus.

Maybe go further, and then row it back in if you've got extra hands on deck to crack the wip on your sun scorched bleeding backs.

Full speed........ ramming speed........ now ludicrous speed......

Comment

Steve,

All fun aside, max range of any boat is a variable at best. It is NOT just a factor of boat length, fuel capacity, and engine size. It's also sea conditions and most importantly, experience of the captain.

Your boat was one of the early Makos and near shore fishing in south Florida was the intent -- we have at most, a 3 mile run to the Gulf Stream out of Palm Beach Inlet.

The most widely accepted planning model is the "Rule of Thirds"; one third out - one third back - one third in reserve. With a 30 gallon fuel tank that means plan on consuming 10 gallons to get to your fishing spot and 10 to get back.

Now you need to figure out what the fuel consumption is with that 90hp. Is it underpowered -- yes, but it's what you've got. Assuming it's running well, fill up the tank and take it out at cruise for a known distance and time in reasonable sea conditions. Then head back to the fuel dock and top off. Now you can figure out your GPH consumption at cruise. A 30 minute run is more than sufficient.

If you do repower, the 135/140 hp is your best bet - max hp for your boat is 150. With a small fuel tank, trying to reach the tuna grounds is probably not a good idea. I'm not sure a 4-stroke will get you there. Are there folks who'll put 20 gallons of gas in plastic tanks and try it -- sure.

I would not recommend adding a bracket and enclosing the transom thinking it'll enable you to go farther. Enjoy what you have and save up for a larger boat when possible. []

Tom
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I had a 19' Sunbird that I had no problems with going 20-25mi out. It was a 1994 model with a 94 evinrude 115. That far out I was always near other boats I also have towing insurance with Boat US. Can't beat it for $100 per year they will tow you back within a 50mi radius I think to the nearest port.
              Troy[br]Pensacola, FL[br]1977 21\' Mako Deep V[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20954

Comment

Thanks Guys, Common sense tells me "No", but I thought Id ask. Ill be moving up to Mass. this August so maybe Ill be able to get some in shore tuna action up there.
                Steve[br]Scituate MA

Comment

Working...
                X