Engine vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine vibrations

Here's the latest drama. Both engines run extremely well up to 4200 rpm, ~ 40mph. When I jump up to 4500rpm at 43mph both engines start to vibrate side to side. I've tried with the engines tilted up and down, tabs all the way up and down, and all combinations of each. Could this be a problem with a prop? Maybe out of shape just a little that it's not noticable until the higher RPMs? Any ideas?
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

prop was the 1st thing I throught. You might pull'em and swing by the prop shop for a quick check.

Comment

also Artie check the little trim tab plate that adjusts your steering comp. one could have come loose and turned on you. causing the two motors to fight one another.
      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Artie,

While I'm a tad embarrassed to admit it, I bumped and lightly bent one blade of the port engine prop, the first day out after mounting the "oriental twins" (A.K.A... Suzy Fook-U & Suzy Fook-Me). It caused EXACTLY what you've described.

OB1
        Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Played with the correction tabs and the same vibration. Gonna pull the props next week and have them looked at. Thanks for the help guys.
          Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Artie, I am inclined to agree with the others that it is probably a prop problem. But, heres a different thought: Maybe you have some trash in the fuel system and have constricted filters. That would be consistent with only seeing symptoms at higher speed. I would think if your props were bent that bad that it would be apparent at lower than 45k rpm.

Comment

A past trip to Venice might ring a bell when you hugged the shore a little to much!!! [][:0] Just go get you twin E-tecs and go back to Africa so I can catch some FISH!!! A 32' Regulator doesn't have any vibrations. Maybe that is the solution!!![8D][8D]

Your Loving Brother,

Scottie
              Scott Sutherland[br]\"Overworked Brother\"[br]www.thedockgulfport.com[br][br]

Comment

Working...
              X