Who's using Trimtabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's using Trimtabs

Who is using Bennett Trim Tabs and who likes 'em? WHat do you like and dislike about 'em.

bc
    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Got 'em and love 'em. They make a huge difference in the ride of the boat. Mine are a little oversized at 9x14, but they work great. Tabman helped a bunch when I chose mine. I din't like the gyro type controller they came with, so I installed this little gadget instead from www.insta-trim.com :

At $99, it's a bargain compared to the Bennett trim tab toggle switch
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

I have (had) them on my hull. There is nothing to dislike about Bennett Tabs. They are tops across the board.[]
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Trim tabs are a no brainer. But having said this, you must learn how to use them effectively. For the neophyte, we have to realize which pushbutton control gives left / right bow down etc., for many it is an an easy exercise, for others it is opposite - if they were used to operating heavy equipment.

Even for a small go fast, such as our Donzi classic 18, it will make the difference for say 35 to 40 knots in a 3 foot chop. Go for it absolutely. The Donzi 18 Classic will run approx 60 mph in a 2 foot chop, that is if you have the gotchas.

Randy
        1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

The tabs are on my model 201, and not only useful, but practically a requirement.

Comment

Definitely get the tabs, Bob.

I have Lencos on my 231 and I had Bennets on my old 201. The Lencos are much easier to install. However, when the electric motor does eventually fail you will need to buy a whole new actuator, which are not cheap. I think they were $90 each....Lenco would not replace for free.

The Bennet system is much more complicated to install because it is a hydraulic system. I was always having problems with them on my old 201 but unfortunately at the time..I did not know that TABMAN existed or I would have called him and asked him to help me diagnos the problem.

With that said, you need to make the choice.....go with the simple to install electric Lencos and okay customer support or go with the more complicated Bennetts and their unbelievable customer support from Tabman.

Tough call!!

Comment

Not to confuse anyone, however was wondering ed, which came stock on the 88 -231?

Randy
              1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

Bob,

First off, I would NOT be without tabs, for a whole host of reasons that you will discover, once you've added them, or operate3d a craft similar to your won, which is so equipped.

My '83-224 (sold new in Sandusky Ohio, and used on Lake Erie ONLY, until I purchased it 4 years ago) came to me equipped with obviously not new tabs of 11 x 8 size made by the St. Charles, MO company Rude referred you to... (insta-trim.com)

This past winter, when I enclosed the transom and added a bracket, since I was concerned about the weight balance alterations caused by the twin 140 Suzi's on the 30" Armstrong bracket, I decided that I needed larger tabs.

Since the originals still functioned well, I went back to insta-trim tabs of the next larger size (which is I believe the 12 x 14's), and have been VERY pleased with the results.

I did NOT replace the trim tab switchs yet, as I need to do some minor re-work of the helm to get it the new "oval" switches to fit, but the old switch still functions, and it plugged right it.

At about the same time, one of my buddy's purchased Bennetts for his 21' Tahoe, at something like 2 to 3 times the $cost of the insta-trims. He's a little chagrined at the moment as neither one of us can figure out where the 2(+) times difference in cost is, as they BOTH look like and operate like very well made pieces.

Hope this helps...

Good Luck, OB1
                Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input.

Artie,

What didn't you like about the gyro type controller? It seems like a great concept to me?

BTW, I'm looking at the M120's , 10"X12" with bat wings.

bc
                  Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Annie2

Artie,

What didn't you like about the gyro type controller? It seems like a great concept to me?

It's just a little more complicated and tough to control while riding in choppy seas. Seems like if I wanted the port bow down, I'd push the gyro that way, bounce around a bit, and get Port on Starboard down. With the sep[erate switch and a bigger button, everything is a little easier to control. May be the relation to the motor trim switches that just seems to make them easier.

Those 10"x12" M120s will be perfoect IMO. Consult TABMAN and others here with your model boat a the best place to put them. Other things to consider is pump mounting, control switch mounting, and interference with transom mounted equipment (transducers and such), etc....

You won't beleive the difference. You'll love the tabs whichever way you go. []
                    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Bob,

I have the gyro style control, and it sucks. I am on my third one. It has been easier to just put the same control in when it fails due to it's shape. The next time it fails, I will spend the time to put in seperate left/right switches like Artie's.

Like everyone else, you will never go without the tabs once you have them.
                      Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

I'm a little confused. Don't the M120's come with a separate P/S switches?

WHy would I need to order the switched separately?

Maybe I need more coffee.

Will go fill my mug with hi-test and look forward to your responses...

Comment

I am not sure what switch they come with, my tabs and gyro switch were on the boat when I bought it. Hopefully, they come with decent seperate switches now.
                          Paul[br]Plantation, Fl [br]1988 Mako 236 Inboard

Comment

When you buy the Bennett tabs, normally they come in a kit with a gyro control standard. http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/kits.htm

After watching the video on the M120s, it gives the impression that kit comes with the rocker switches. Best to clarify the price for the kit (if available) with the gyro and rocker switch and make your choice from there knowing the switch I pictured before is $99. It might be they all come with rocker switches these days. Good for you.... []

Comment

I think I can clear the up.

The gyro switch as you reffered to, Bennett call's it a Joystick.

The tab's are available with either Joystick or Rocker switch's.

It's yout choice. Go with the rocker switch.

You will 1st be confused as to the working's of the rocker switch's.

The port switch operates the stb. tab and stb switch operates the port tab. Wire it that way, as per instruction's and forget it.

Now when you are thinking about which switch to push to make it do what you want it to. Only think of what the bow of the boat is doing. The switch's are wired to control the bow.

the rocker switch's even say on them bow/up and bow/down.

If you think about the switch's in relationship to controling the tab's, you will be totally confused and make the wrong adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                              X