Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody ever cut down the tall bow rail on a 261??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever cut down the tall bow rail on a 261??

Made an offer on a boat with the huge bow rail up front. Is there a way to take it off and cut it way down to reattach it? I like the looks of the small recessed bow rails. Thanks, Jay

Yes, you can certainly do this.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jayterry

Made an offer on a boat with the huge bow rail up front. Is there a way to take it off and cut it way down to reattach it? I like the looks of the small recessed bow rails. Thanks, Jay

It's a piece of cake for anyone with a hacksaw & a modicum of aluminum welding experience/ability. I had my welder buddy help me do this to my 224, to enable fitting a bow mounted trolling motor.

Good Luck,

OB1
      Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

I havn't as of yet, but want to.

If we ever get a run of giant tuna back...would like to cut it down, put a swivel holder in deck up there and let him tow me around on a 130.

I dont like the looks, gets in the way retreiving the hook, but then again, when we fish for fluke I like to get up there, its kinda nice to have your legs against something as my hands are usually holding a rod and a beer.
        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

depending on how your rail is built and attached it could be a very simple project.

My old bow rail used compression screws at the base that held the vertical polls in place and the top "grab rail" passed through the channels on the top of these vertical polls. The top rail was not fastened tight and could pass through the top channels freely. If I wanted to shorten my rails it would have been an easy process of taking the vertical polls off, shortening, and reattaching. Since the top rail freely moved back and forth, it would have self adjusted itself to where the channels would sit on the new vertical polls.
          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Working...
          X