Help with the value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the value?

I am new to this site but not to wanting an older model Mako. Right now I have a 19' Cimmarron CC. I fish 8 -10 miles out in the Gulf and would like to go a little further. I have located a 21' WA that is a 1989 model with about the same model 200 Evinrude. The boat is in excellant shape, the motor looks tired (lots of corrosion), the trailer is fair. The owner wants me to make an offer. I am very serious about the boat so I don't want to p_ _ _ the guy off with a low offer, but I don't really know what this boat is worth! Any suggestions and I am prepared for some heckling here, would be appreciated.[8D]

I can't answer your question directly, but turn it around on him. Ask what he will take.[]

Comment

Jackie,

The owner's putting you in a tough spot -- he's selling the boat and should be putting forth an asking price. By asking you to make the the offer first indicates to me that he's not serious about selling, just testing the waters...

Here are some factors you need to consider -- since we have no pictures of the boat and there's not a complete listing of what's on the boat, i.e. trailer, electronics, transom condition, top, ....; they're only suggestions.

1. The engine has no value, so take it from cost factoring. If it is indeed a model year '89, you need to figure on replacing it soon, or at a minimum rebuilding it at a cost of $2,000 for a good job. Even if it's running ok now, plan on a new water pump/impeller and some basic maintenance cost up front, say $500 for your own insurance.

2. Electronics more than three years old also have little value. A boat that old probably has an older depthfinder and loran -- maybe a very basic GPS. The VHF is probably an old one as well.

3. Trailer. You didn't mention if there's one. If there is a trailer, unless it's new, figure on spending a few hundred $$ on new bearings, seals, brakes, light kit.... Just remember, here in Florida trailers are required to have brakes if the towing weight is > 3,000lbs -- and that package will! If you need to buy a trailer, figure on $3,500 - 4,000 for a basic dual axle aluminum trailer with brakes.

O.K. Now what's your budget -- don't blow it all on the purchase outright, as you'll need some $$ to get the trailer fixed, buy a new bottom machine/GPS, VHF w/ antenna, AM/FM/CD Stereo with a MASSIVE subwoofer [(#)] ... now you're getting a feel for things. How's the upholstry in the cabin -- if it's worn, plan on $3-500 to replace/repair it. If there's a top, say a Bimini, what is the condition?

Assuming the boat's in good condition and structually sound i.e. the transom's solid, the engine is currently in half way decent shape, with no trailer; I'd offer no more than $4,000 and see what he says. Since he's not said what his asking price is, he has no reason to get pissed off.

Now if the boat's in pristine condition, with new electronics and a new trailer, you'll have to bump the price up...but the engine's still worth nothing...

Good Luck,

Tom
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Just as a side note, Depending on how you decide to insure the boat, You may need a survey done. Keep that cost in mind as well.

Good Luck

SB
        Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

I think Saltyballs has a great idea. Survey. I know what you mean

about being "serious" about the boat and, for me, that's a dangerous

place to be in. If you don't have a friendly resource who can

evaluate the boat's soundness, the $300 or $400 you'll spend on the

survey will come back to you many times over. It will also let the

seller know you are very interested, which may be a good thing -

especially if the guy really doesn't know how much to ask for it.

If he really does know what it's worth, but is hoping to get

more than that out of you, the survey will not only level the

playing field, it may even tilt it in your direction. Armed with

the knowledge the survey will give you, along with the fact that you

already have a boat you can fish from, you might be in a great

negotiating position. You say you want to fish, which means you are

not trying to buy a project boat. The survey will help protect you

from buying a project by mistake.

I hope the boat will survey out to be as great as it appears to be

and you'll be able to make a fair deal on it. Good luck!

Win
          It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

tell him that you would rather hear what he wants for the boat. becouse your on a budget an if he wants more than you can afford then you won't hurt his feeling for the amount you have to offer. if he pushs you to make an offer the go in real low. whats the worst he could say NO an come back with his price. he's in the same spot your in he doesn't want to ask to much for it I'll bet he realy doesn't have a set price in his head

a good deal is when every one walks away happy
            Slim[br]Lafayette [br]1973 19-6 Aquasport[br]An a few Makos[br]

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I plan to meet the guy this weekend and discuss the price. I hope to get him to say what he would like for the boat first and plan not to go higher than my set price.

Comment

He who mentions price first, loses.

Comment

Ed is exactly right...true in almost all negotiations.
                  It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

When forced to make the first move I always offer low and then smile as I increase my offer. It usually sets the pace for me to read the seller. I dont try to lowball though. as a seller often I dont like it either.
                    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jfleet

I am new to this site but not to wanting an older model Mako. Right now I have a 19' Cimmarron CC. I fish 8 -10 miles out in the Gulf and would like to go a little further. I have located a 21' WA that is a 1989 model with about the same model 200 Evinrude. The boat is in excellant shape, the motor looks tired (lots of corrosion), the trailer is fair. The owner wants me to make an offer. I am very serious about the boat so I don't want to p_ _ _ the guy off with a low offer, but I don't really know what this boat is worth! Any suggestions and I am prepared for some heckling here, would be appreciated.[8D]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jfleet

jfleet, how do you like your cimmarron cc, i am getting one, but had never even heard of them until lately..........

Comment

Working...
                        X