Looking at a 1990 261 w/ twin 200 HPDI's..help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a 1990 261 w/ twin 200 HPDI's..help

anybody running that set up? Looking for performance #'s on the motors ......especially fuel burn.

Also, what are some things to be weary of in that year and hull model..

I do plan to have the boat surveyed. Thanks

That sounds like an awesome setup. The 261 is a great, heavy hull with an excellent ride in the rough stuff.

Things I personally think are an issue with the 261:

1) Gap between splashwell and deck bottom allows easy water intrusion, especially in following seas. I would seek an alternative, sealed solution.

2) Control levers are at a 45 degree angle, which I think is extremely awkward

3) Fuel filters are mounted in splaswell, which I personally find unappealing--aesthetic

4) In-deck livewell, which I would personally seal

5) Scuppers uncomfortably (for me) close to water line with most engine setups
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Figure a cruise of about 29-30 knots at 4000 rpm. Cant help you with the burn as I have carbs, but at that speed I'm doing about 20gph. Figure maybe 30-35% less with the HPDI?

In regards to the above post...really, who cares? I have NEVER had a problem with water over the transom...so much so that, unless my two year old is in the boat, the splashwell door stays down. I mean, yeah, when drifting, you may take the occasional splash over the tranny, but never enough that I've had water on the deck.

Controls are a bit awkwardly placed...but you only notice that at first. I certainly dont now.

All in all love the rig.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I see your point re the transom, but I'd prefer to have it sealed of course (ala 261B).

And the scuppers/deck level in relation to the water line is not ideal IMO.

Don't get me wrong however--I'd buy a 261 in a minute!
        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

Jay-

A 261 is an excellent boat. With the twin 200 HPDI-s you should be fine.

As far as the gas tank is concerned, it eventually will need to be replaced. Have it checked as part of your survey. Figure about $3000-4000 to have it done professionally...about $1500 if you do it yourself

As far as the transom is concerned, you will be fine. I have a 231 Mako with a notched transom and I regularly drift stern first through the mouth of the Merrimac River inlet without any problems. I can't even remember the last time my feet got wet. Plus, if you ever were to take a wave over the bow...all you need to do with a notched transom is get on the throttle and the water will spill out the back.

Good luck and let us know how you make out

Comment

I have the 260, which is the same hull in a walkaround version. I also have a pair of 2002 200HP HPDI's. At cruise, you should be at 4000 RPMS, about 32mph, and burning about 16GPH. 2 mpg.
            1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

Working...
            X