Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T Top welded joint crack

[:u]

The welded joint where my T Top joins the bracket that secures one of my my T Top posts to the center console has a crack in the actual weld (ie in the "waves" in the welded joint). The T Top is about 10 years old and seems to be solid as a rock. I have not added anything recently (all it has on the T Top is the canvas and 3 rocket luanchers.
    Thanks,[br]JB[br]\'91 Mako 201[br]Oxford, Maryland

Sweet.
    Steve[br]Scituate MA

Comment

Not uncommon. Have it rewelded.

Comment

Depending on the size of the crack, you may be able to use this stuff:

http://durafix.com/

I used it once and it worked pretty good.
        Sarasota, Florida

Comment

That stuff works OK in certain applications but this weldment is subjected to repeated stress and in my experience the rod welds do not hold up well to constant stresses. "Soldering" with these rods takes practice to do it right/well, and as with any aluminum welding cleanliness is key. When you use these rods you dont really melt the base metal, you just provide a band aid between two parts. It sounds to me like it would be best to just have it rewelded, 10 years of the top blowing around takes its toll, Id do it right once rather than take the cheap route and have to do it again. I usually take the cheap route and it winds up costing double the price had I done it the "right " way.
          Steve[br]Scituate MA

Comment

That stuff works OK in certain applications but this weldment is subjected to repeated stress and in my experience the rod welds do not hold up well to constant stresses. "Soldering" with these rods takes practice to do it right/well, and as with any aluminum welding cleanliness is key. When you use these rods you dont really melt the base metal, you just provide a band aid between two parts. It sounds to me like it would be best to just have it rewelded, 10 years of the top blowing around takes its toll, Id do it right once rather than take the cheap route and have to do it again. I usually take the cheap route and it winds up costing double the price had I done it the "right " way.
            Steve[br]Scituate MA

Comment

I used it on a small crack where there was not alot of stress. I used it because someone that I know used it to fix an aluminum prop and it held up pretty well. I agree having it rewelded is the better option.
              Sarasota, Florida

Comment

My t top welds crack occaisionally, just have i welded. If it cracks in same spot, have a truss or support added to help w the strain.

Comment

Thanks guys. I had it rewelded.
                  Thanks,[br]JB[br]\'91 Mako 201[br]Oxford, Maryland

Comment

Working...
                  X