New Buy - 77 Mako 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Buy - 77 Mako 17

I am pumped. I have been looking for a this boat for a while. They seem to be hard to find in Michigan. I am going through the boat as we speak and am pleased with the shape it is in. He was asking 3500 and I got him down to 2500. I will post pics tonight (if i can figure out how). Any advice on specific items I should inspect before hitting the water? Thanks - New Mako Owner.
    \'77 Mako 17, \'86 Johnson 140[br]TC, Michigan

Congrats!!! on your new 17'. I'd like to see some pics... I have a 1990 17' - I've owned many different types and manufacturer's of boats over my years. I've always heard people rave about 'Makos' - I thought 'big deal' until I bought this one. I now understand what all those people were raving about... I plan to keep this 17' for many, many years. Happy boating!!!
    Steve 171 Mako[br]Jupiter, FL.

Comment

Congrats! You'll love the boat, and it seems like you got a deal on it. That Johnson will suck some fuel down, but it'll get you "there" faster than most anything you can bolt on the transom.

Things you should take a look at:

1: Fuel tank- the easiest way to see if it leaks is to fill it up and smell your bilge. Not exactly the most environmentally friendly though.

2: Soft deck: walk around on your knees. This will help you find/hear soft spots better than walking around on your feet.

3: Soft transom: Use a plastic hammer to tap the transom all over. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think wet wood gives a dull thud rather than a sharp rap.

Most everything else should be cosmetic and shouldn't keep you from at least making one run around in it before you tear the thing apart. []
      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Did you buy that off of elmwood street in Traverse City? All the drool marks around that boat were from my son Tim and I. Its a pretty good boat. I cant figure out why he had such extreem transom

wedges on it though. If its the one then congrats. dave.
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Yes. Got it at Elmwood St.. Very dirty boat. But she really cleaned up. I am not sure about the wedges...? I am going to take it out this weekend and try to figure out the trim situation. Do you think 2500 was about right for it??? After going through it I am happier. I was expecting rotting floor, foam, etc. But, with a little work she will look good. The trailer is not the best, but, easily replacable or fixable..? I am on buisness this week, I will try for the before/after pics this week. By the way, those magic eraser sponges really are "magic".

Dan
          \'77 Mako 17, \'86 Johnson 140[br]TC, Michigan

Comment

talk to Linda, Chris, and Slim - those wedges were for a funky mount where the transom was angled - not perpendicular to the water. If properly supported w/ backing plate, I see no probs at all, Good luck.

Mark
            \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

Working...
            X