Horse power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse power?

I have a 1994 241B with single 225 mercury black max, and I want to put twins. How much muscle do I need to get at least a 30mph cruise, and what kind of motors would you put on it? rated for 400HP 200gal gas.

Try taking a look at Ktugboats's post, (post your fuel burn #'s) in which he is collecting data relative to fuel economy. He's also requested info for a variety of hulls & powerplants.

He's putting it all on a spread sheet, so we can get an idea of what others have, and what works for them.

You may find something useful for you there.

Good Luck
    Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Steve,

I'm assuming you've got the 241b with the Euro transom and not a regular 241 (notched transom) that someone enclosed and installed a bold-on bracket. The true 241b is really 26' LOA with a 8.5' beam. The 241b was renamed the 262 the following year.

Horsepower is only one factor that drives performance, though I'm sure you're aware of that. Props, T-Top, bottom paint, fuel on board, and passengers all play their part.

The most common power package I've seen with the 241b is twin 200s -- though I've only seen a few. That should significantly improve things from where you are with the single 225.

Tom
      Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Yes that is correct it has a euro transom with no bottom paint and a t-top. Have you herd much about these boats, I know they are rare and know mako doesn't have the weight correct on the web page. It's heavy!!!!

Comment

Financial decisions aside (I like spending other peoples money... []), twin 200 hp is the way to go. You'll get exactly the same, if not better, MPG with the bigger engines simply because they aren't working as hard as twin 150hp for example. With the bigger HP you can run a higher pitch prop, lower RPMs for the same speed, etc. Plus, if one engine flies the coop, change the prop on the running engine, tilt the bummed engine out of the water, and run home.
          Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Steve,

The 241b/262 were only made from '94 to '97 -- not a particularly long production run. As a result, it may be difficult to get opinions from folks who have run the boats for a while. I kind of liked the boat when I saw it -- lots of room. The only shortfall I saw was no "walk-through" to the back deck (you have to climb over the transom in order to get to the engines. Mako fixed that with the 282 in 1997.

The only questionable thing I ever heard about the 241b/262 was that it tended to porpoise while underway at speed. Now that can be attributed to several things: wrong props, wrong engines (i.e. wrong shafts/rigging/hp, improper trim tab settings, and off-balance load.

I would suggest you contact two former Mako dealerships that have consistently high credibility in the marine industry, Tuppens Marine in Florida and Pages Creek Marine in North Carolina. Tuppens and Pages Creek were major Mako dealers in the 80s and through the mid 90s. They both know Makos inside and out -- they should be able to answer any questions you might have.

http://www.tuppens.com

htttp://www.pagescreek.com

Good Luck and let us know how this works out....

Tom
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Working...
            X