Who's got a FAST Mako ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's got a FAST Mako ?

We know that the newer Mako's can be rigged to move ok, but with the older Mako's ( tanks ! ) you have to rig with the max hp rating just to get the upper 30's to low 40'mph.

Example: My 94 model 201 with T Top hits 36mph with the 150 Johnson, but should do better with the max rated 200 when I finally re power.

Any older Mako's out there that really move - 45, 50, even 55 mph ?

......and how are they powered ?

Artie aka Rude Attitude will chime in here shortly.[]

Comment

im told i will move pretty good, 72 mako 19' with an 89 yamaha 200. Havent taken her out yet because the steering is frozen. so ill let ya know when i get out there. The gps that came with the boat said the last speed recorded was 58.6!
      1991 1820 Robalo 150 yamaha[br]Seminole, Fl

Comment

Fast Mako's must be out there !

I'm really not shy about how pleased I am with the 94' model 201 that I bought in such great shape - no bottom paint, trailered since new etc. While it cruises great with the 150 Johnson, I'm just really curious to determine how much more top end to expect with a 200hp - Yami 0X66,or HPDI, etc. Top is 36mph now, given 100 gallon fuel tank, and beafy T Top.

Comment

I use to fish on a 77 Mako 25 with twin 200hp Evinrudes (repowered with twin 150 Yamahas) and it would hit the upper 40's all day long. Another buddy had a 25 Mako with twin 225hp Mercs, full tower with tower mounted outriggers with spreaders and it would hit the mid to upper 50's. Yes they are out there, but remember those that want to go faster than everyone else don't buy makos. We buy them because we want to catch fish.....anytime we want.
          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
          1985 Mako 20c - sold
          Fort Walton Beach, FL
          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

My Mako 21 ran 50 mph before I tore into her. I had a Merc 225 EFI on the transom.
            Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

My mako 221 (200 hp) is a newer (1998) boat and is pretty slow, 33 knots wot.

Comment

A friend of mine has a 1998 Mako 221 with a Merc 225 EFI. The boat is very fast. We have seen 52 mph many times. Lots of power on that 225 EFI.
                Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

41mph is plenty fast on a 17. Not that I wouldn't mind going faster... but I've hit top speed with 5 people in the boat.
                  \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

My 1979 Mako 23' aka, "Annie II" with 1996 Evinrude 225 hit 46.3mph with 124 gallons of fuel and 3- 200+ lb. guys on board, 5700 rpm last weekend . I am sure it would have hit 47 , but, I backed off. I had just filling her up I was still feeling the ouch of $2.70 gallon.

4200-4500 rpms 33-36mph keeps the fuel in my tank longer.
                    Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Annie2

feeling the ouch of $2.70 gallon.

[:u] Still $2.419 here. You'd probly save by running down here to fill up. [xx(]
                      \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

bgreene,

that hull isn't particularly fast (compared with 23 and 25 models). go with the 200. there is plenty of flotation on that hull for a big block. You'll pop on plane faster and cruise with lower rpms if proped right. I wouldn't expect more than 5-6 kts more on top speed, but wot isn't really good for your engine or wallet anyway[]

My experience comes from owning a 1987 20 with an Evinrude 225. Your hull is the same except for higher transom, bigger gas tank, and little more weight. LOVED IT!!!
                        Past:[br]1988 Mako 230[br]1987 Mako 20C (best of them all)[br][br]1974 Mako 15[br]Miami, FL[br]

Comment

My 73 20' Mako with 2002 225 opti cruises right around 40 at 4200 rpm's and will always hit 50 on nice water. Fastest was 54 with 4 guys with red fishing gear and 20 gal. of fuel. Never tried it by myself with lighter load.

Comment

I get 33-36 with a 70 hp Johnny-Rude onmy 17 , full tank, 2 people and a cse of Miller Lite on board, that's pretty quick for a 70 hp[][][]
                            Richard[br]Panama City,FL[br]Currently Looking for a MAKO[br]America needs Obamacare like Nancy Pelosi needs a halloween mask[br]

Comment

Richard, that ain't bad. My old 75 Zuke would push my 17 to 33 tops, light load on fuel and only me on board in slick water.

Comment

Working...
                              X