Transom Test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transom Test?

Is there a simple way to test my transoms structural integrity?

Its a 1972 CC

Yes Yes, someone please answer this! I have a hull I'm going to go look at soon, and also want to know.

But in interim, I have been doing some web research, and what I hear is: get a small METAL hammer, go over transom (and rest of hull), and tap LIGHTLY. You should hear a solid(?) knock(?) back (vs soft/hollow/mushy). Have also heard to eyeball transom sideways & from above, to check for any variation in thickness (rotting wood).

Anyone else, pls confirm / rebuke / further inform us!
    NYC & L.I. - 1974 \"Classic\" Mako 20\' - Suzuki 2006 DF150 - Fly & Light Tackle, C&R[br]My boat: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23444#159594[br]Personal website: http://www.georgemcauliffe.com/

Comment

Plastic hammer, should click when tapped, if it thuds......trouble.

Comment

Besides the PLASTIC hammer, you can also grab the lower unit, say when trimmed all the way up, and try to move it. As you do, look for flex in the transom. Big cracks would also be an obvious telltale sign.
        1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

For what it's worth - when I repowered my 1973 22 CC with a 225 Yamaha in 1989 I found a 1/4 inch 3 by 4 6061 T6 Al angle and cut it to fit the top of the transom. left the 4 inch side hang on the inside front and cut the top to be as wide as the trasnon was thick. Attached it to the transom with #14 SS screws with plenty of 5200. Also put a 1/4 inch plate on the back of the transom where the motor touches the transom. Attached that to with several #14's by 2 inch screws also. Used plenty of 5200 under the plate and around the plate edges. The motor mounting holes also needed to be drilled through - Use Plenty of 5200. Once you have the parts exactly as you want them, take them to a professional AL plater and have it "hardcoated" and as long as you don't break through the hardcoat the AL will stay even underwater. My plate on the backside (which has the lower part in the water) of the transom is now 15 years old and still looks like the day it was installed - no crud or any form of coorision. The hardcoat is about a 78 or 80 rockwell c which is harder than most files and for what ever the reason the barnicals don't like it either. I did start with a good solid transom however -
          1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

hi jake, when i bought my 75 mako 19 i raised the out board 1/2 way stood on the lower unit put my hands on engine cowl , and bounced up and down to see what kind of flex is on the transom.you should never ever have to brace anything with angle iron etc etc..........ever never.........that should be sound.........i was told to do this by an old salt.......your transom should only flex a tiny tad when bouncing up and down on lower unit...... these older hulls have wood encased in f/g....bracing with steel angle iron etc.....could only mean ROT in the wood...... jim... www.arctekmarine.com [^]
            www.arctekmarine.com 203 982 6322 bethany,ct custom t tops /leaning posts/ arches/hardtops/towers etc

Comment

Working...
            X