Deck Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck Painting

I am considering painting the deck of my 81 224. It is that dark mustard yellow color and it gets really hot.. Any ideas or advice on how I should go about this project.

Chris

1981 Mako 224

2000 Yamaha 200hp OX66
    Chris[br]Florida Keys[br]1981 Mako 224[br]2000 Yamaha 200 HP OX66[br]

Chris - My 224 had already been painted when purchased, but I purchased from a friend and he said prep work was tough - alot of hard sanding. He rolled the deck and there are a couple thin spots. I am sure some of guys who have done themselves have good ideasand will chime in.
    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Did you check to see if its rotten yet? Its about that time for decks to start rotting at 25 years
      John S.[br]Lutz, FL aka Tampa[br]Currently transplanted to Tallahassee

Comment

I don't think the deck is bad. I cant feel any soft spots or see any cracking. This weekend I installed an access plate so I could change my lift eye assembly. Just for the record it took 3 guys 6.5 hours to accomplish this. The wood from the access hole looked very good and dry.

Can any one offer me some advice on paiting?

Chris

1981 Mako 224

2000 Yamaha 200 HP OX66

Comment

Hey hadeze, It all depends on how you like to do it, if your planing on painting over the existing paint, or if you want to start from scratch. It all depends on how good is the paint now. If is coming of, you should sand it and paint it. Are you planning on a non skid deck or is it already done? What colors are you planing on doing it? Light color's don't get as hot.

Comment

I was just talking to Hammertime today. He had to come Look.[]

I think you would be hard pressed to find an easier system than the Durabak.

We talked about doing his deck's.

I'd sand the gellcoat with 80gt on the DA. Stay back from the edge a little where your going to run your tape lines. I laid 3/4in tape to the outside edge and then laid 1/4in Fineline to the inside of that. Paper around the edge and then hand sand to the edge of the Fineline with 180gt. Wash it down with Xylene. Power stir the can of Durabak and roll a coat on with the special roller they send. Wait an hour and roll another coat on. Wait 3/4hr to 1hr and untape it. Your done.

It leave's a nice rubbery surface.

Comment

Yeah I am planning on doing non-skid but not the while thing. Taping off the hatched and some other areas that I don't want it. What do you guys think

Comment

We re-painted the deck of our last boat. Very easy, just taped off and sanded. After that we carefully rolled on two coats. Took me 4 hrs and a six pack.

Comment

Working...
                X