welding alum t top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding alum t top

Does anyone have any experiences with welding an alum. T top? I have a couple of cracks in the joints and the welding of them should pose no problem. I also have wires throughout the tubing (not where the welding will take place) for my GPS, VHF,spreader lights, etc. My question is .....Will the welding electrical current damage the wiring/electronics in the top?

thanks
    1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

Alway's disconnect your battery cables before welding on a car or boat.

Comment

The actual welding should not do anything to your electronics but for piece of mind if you can disconnect (or remove) them from the boat system I would. The biggest problem will be the heat generated by the actual welding itself especially if the cracks are large enough that the arc will go through the tube into the inside of the pipe. If the wires are right next to the welded surface you may get some insulation that is heated up and even burned. If possible see if your could place something temporaly (that wont burn like a piece of thin AL) in-between the tube wall and the wires if you can get at them. Another thought would be to reniforce that area with a suitable piece of Al that would fit over the cracks completely and then welded. FOr the most part AL dissapates the heat very fast and it should not be a problem. The welder can go slowly doing a small amount a a time and stopping often to let the tube cool off. Make sure you have an experienced AL welder that will use a tig setup do the job.

Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

the two cracks to be welded are in the front cross bar that is horizontal to the ground. There are no wires in that area at all so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the advice.
        1984 MAKO 254[br]Hartsville, SC

Comment

I had a cracked weld in my T top welded this winter but also had some bracing added to keep it from happening again. You should find out why it cracked before you repair.
          Jim Devlin [br]Alvin, TX[br]1987 Mako 20C

Comment

That's real good advice to find out why it cracked in the first place because if it was built properly to begin with, there should NEVER be any cracking in any of the tubeing.

Mike
            1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
            X