Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Classic Mako - Looking for Pointers

All,

First of all, love the site, this is right up my alley. I am looking for a 21-23 ft. Mako CC, preferably single engine. I am leaning toward something built in Late 70's early 80's. Can you give advice on major things I should keep an eye out for, good or bad. I would appreciate any help that could be given. Thanks in advance.
    Ryan B.[br]Temporarily Mako-less

I bought a 224cc this year with a new 175 hp. Yamaha. The boat is great. The motor is adequate, but I wish it was a 200 hp.or more. Check the transom, and check to see if the fuel tank is okay. Makos are great hulls. The more I have mine the more I love it. If you come across a 224 let me know if you have any detail questions. I have been in just about every nook and cranny a 224 has. And welcome to the Mako site. There are a bunch of great guys here with a wealth of information. Don
    Don Flowers[br]Port Lavaca, Tx.[br]Mako 224 1985 \"Godspeed\"[br]Yamaha 175

Comment

Welcome Rbishop.

Where are you located?

Are you looking for a Mako that needs work or one that is ready to launch?

What is your budget?

I know where there is a 79 Mako 23' CC with forward birth/very rare. No motor, for $2000.00 or with new trailer around $4000.00.

Looks like a decent project boat.

Bob
      Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Bob,

That sounds interesting, is it possible for pics? Always looking for a project. I actually would have liked that on mine.
        Hugs Tug [br]2007 SteigerCraft 23\' Miami W/ 225 Suzuki[br]Former 1973, 23 Mako C/C with I/O[br]Mattituck[br]Long Island N.Y.

Comment

Welcome Aboard rbishop. please put your hometown/state in your siginature box. You will find this in your "Profile" at the top right of the page. It help's us, help you.[]

Comment

If my wife had her way we would have small cuddy like that for a little privacy. Its not fair for the guys to let fly off the stern and the ladies get uncomfortable. DAve/
            [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

[]
              quote:

Its not fair for the guys to let fly off the stern and the ladies get uncomfortable.

One word

Pilothouseid="Impact">id="size6">id="blue">

Comment

i'm with you on that one bobby. i decided when i wanted a boat i wanted a center console. even when the wife came home with this one. now i wouldn't trade if for a center console! there has to be someplace to get out of the sun and someplace for the ladies.
                Grant[br]87 21b 97 Suzuki DT200[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23633[br]New Orleans, LA[br][email protected]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

One word

Pilothouseid="Impact">id="size6">id="blue">

I couldn't agree more! []

OK... It's not a Mako, but............. [8D]
                  Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Yea, but when a woman hangs off the bow rail of your CC and tinkles you know you have a real woman on board, not some high maintaince bimbo.

If you are looking for a fixer uper I would go with one that was listed above. There are a ton of older Mako's here in South Florida.

I have a 236 inboard and love it.

If I was getting an outboard I would pick up an older hull and buy an brand new engine and trailer. Rewire the entire thing, replace the tanks and gauges. Like having a new boat only better.
                    Andy

Comment

Sorry, No pix. Found the ad in a local magazine. I may be able to dig up the phone Number for you.

Bob
                      Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

Hi Ryan, We are bringing my friends 224 up from the keys to Naples this weekend to clean up for sale. The boat has a 225 mariner on it and has a trailer. I think he will be asking between 6,500 and 7,500 for it. The boat needs love but it has tons of potential. Gary

Comment

I saw this ad on Tidalfish.com, boat is located in Va. Beach Va.

"23 FT. Mako"- "1973..351 mercruiser rebuilt last year with 50 hours on it. Center console with front cuddy. On trailer. Located at Long Bay Point tackle on shore dr in Virginia Beach. E-mail [email protected] for pics. 757-575-8087
                          88 Mako 171, 115 E-TEC, [br]85 Mako 285, Twin 250 Yamahas [br]Annapolis, MD[br][IMG]

Comment

http://www.buyanad.com/ViewItem.asp?ID=85174

There has to be something wrong with this boat @ $11,000 with a "new" Mercury Optimax 225! Doesn't that engine cost more than that alone? And a T-Top. Trailer included??? Maybe a good deal.
                            72\' Mako 22\'[br]NoNeck, VA

Comment

I'm seeing $13K for a 225 Optimax at Ed's Marine.[^]

Comment

Working...
                              X