Strength of fiberglass lay up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength of fiberglass lay up

How can i determine how strong a particular layup schedule will be? if i am using a divinicell panel how much fiberglass do i need to put on each side, ie for side panels of a console or a hardtop? will 2 layers of 6oz fabric be stronger or weaker than 1 layer of 12oz fabric.
    26 Blackwatch[br]Larkspur, CA.

I would assume the plywood principle applies here. Multiple layers glued together form a stronger product then on thick single layer.

Just a guess....any pros care to chime in, Warthog, Ring, etc.?
    Jones Inlet, Long Island

Comment

quote:

How can i determine how strong a particular layup schedule will be?

The real answer to that quetion is to have a lab test it.

I know that's not really what you wanted to fool with, but it's the correct answer.
      quote:

if i am using a divinicell panel how much fiberglass do i need to put on each side.

What is the thickness of the Divenacell panel?

The consoles on my boat are 3/8in Divenacell. There is a 12oz biaxal +45/-45 and 6oz or 8oz regular weave glass on top of that on each side.

Comment

i was thinking of using 3/8 or 1/2 inside the cabin, new bunk with storage and battery boxes underneath, and walls for head. 1/2 or 3/4 for exterior panels. 2 layers of 1/2 with fiberglass in between for hardtop. I want to be able to stand on the hardtop. with a crows newts or small "tower".
        26 Blackwatch[br]Larkspur, CA.

Comment

quote:

2 layers of 1/2 with fiberglass in between for hardtop. I want to be able to stand on the hardtop. with a crows newts or small "tower".

It doesn't need glass between the 2 piece's of 1/2in.

Just glue them together with epoxy and with a notched trowl spread epoxy/Cabisol.

the top core on mine is 1 1/4in.

2 layer's of 1808 0/90 & +45/-45. Top that with some 6 or 8oz for a smooth surface.

Tool's to form a nice radius on the edges.

3 layers of 6 or 8oz to cover the edges. 2in,3in & 4in wide.

You will need to use this system for mounting thing's.

http://bertram31.com/proj/tips/sleeving.htm

You can bore a hole oversize. 1in hole for a 1/4in fastner and fill it with epoxy/Cabisol and redrill the 1/4in hole in the center.

Comment

Working...
          X