Teleflex steering question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teleflex steering question??

The boat has not been used for awhile but the teleflex steering seems to have lots of slack in the steering. You can turn the wheel 3/4 to 1 full turn before the motor begins to move. After that the motor turns very easy, but it takes many turns of the wheel to get the motor to go hard over. I was wondering, does this mean it may be low on fluid, and how do you tell where the fluid level should be. Can you just open the screw on top of the steering unit and look in the hole???[?]
    Don Flowers[br]Port Lavaca, Tx.[br]Mako 224 1985 \"Godspeed\"[br]Yamaha 175

Best thing don is to go to the link page on fourm and go to teleflex..they are pretty supportive!!
    1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

I assume that the Teleflex system your refering to is a hydrulic unit. What you are describing is usually a hyd fluid loss. Try putting in more fluid into the system by using the fill in the top of the helm station. You should also find out where that missing fluid went before you use the boat otherwise you may not have any stearing. Also, that hyd system is a closed system and should not need any fluid year to year unless there is a leak. Sometimes fluid will leak out around the motor Hyd cylinder seals but that is usually easy to spot in the motor well as a bright red stain. Also when replacing the hyd fluid do not use anything except the manufactures hyd fluid or you could get into other problems with seals etc. Hope this helps -Mike
      1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

The Teleflex Seastar helm should be filled up the the fill hole on the helm itself. Unforfunately if you have that much air in the system you will need to completely rebleed the lines and cylinder. As previously stated, try to locate were the missing fluid went before doing anything else. The bleeding procedure is a two man job. check their website for the complete procedure.

Comment

Another way you can bleed all the air out of the system by just turning the wheel slowly (after you have filled the fluid) back and forth (lock to lock) several (dozen) times. You need to keep checking the fluid because it keeps going down in the resavior as the system is filling. I have done this quit a few times on my Teleflex Hyd system and it works very well.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the bleeding advice. I'm usually here by myself. By the way, it is low. I think the leak is at the piston at the engine. Does any one have experience at replacing seals at that end. Don
            Don Flowers[br]Port Lavaca, Tx.[br]Mako 224 1985 \"Godspeed\"[br]Yamaha 175

Comment

Teleflex makes a kit that will thread onto both the fluid bottle and the helm. My local west marine doesn't carry the kit, so I found a funnel that fit into the threaded hole on the front of the helm.

Take a piece of clear plastic tubing (~24") and connect the nipples on the back of your tee's on the cylinder that the hoses attach to. Loosen the nuts. Attach your funnel to the helm and fill it halfway... as bubbles come up they will splash a bit if you have too much fluid in it. Turn the wheel back and forth (the motor should NOT turn as you've bypassed the cylinder with the hose) and you'll see the bubbles come up into the funnel. This will take a while, as you'll have to keep adding fluid until it won't drain out of the funnel.
              \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Don - There are 2 seperate areas that can leak on that motor piston. The first is the easiest to change out and are the 2 piston ends that hold the seals (and a wiper). The other is the seal that resides inside of the piston in the center of the unit. I have changes both over the last 16 years that I have had my system. The end seals are the the easiest to change - you will need to remove the end bolts that hold the bracket on and then use the wrench that came with the piston (or kit I can't remember) to unscre the end seal(s). Be careful when installing the new ones as the threaded end of the piston shaft could cut the seal. The center piston seal is, if I can remember correctly a leather piece that you wrap around the center piston and then reinsert it into the tube. When I had the center seal go over the winter a few years back, the company line was to replace the whole cylinder da! 400 bucks for a buck seal. Finally spoke with a service guy at Teleflex that sent me 2 seal in the mail - no charge. Put it in in less that 5 minutes saved $400. Geaat day.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                X