Half Filled Compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half Filled Compass

My orig Mako compass is half filled. Or it has a giant bubble in it...ha ha.[] Does anyone know wher I can get it reconditioned? Or can I just refill it myself? I haven't removed it yet to give a look and I don't want to buy a new one because this one has the little Mako Shark emblem on it. Yes, I am a grown man. Any info would help. Thanks, Paul.

I just dealt with the same issue, and it is an easy repair. I removed my compass (a Ritchie Helmsman original Mako model) to repaint the base. I made the mistake of removing the 8-10 little screws around the edge of the ball, which seal the compass, and bubbles got inside. I replaced the screws and called Ritchie. The guy said I could send it back or refill it myself. The fluid is odorless mineral spirits (paint thinner), available at any paint or hardware store. On the bottom side there is a silver cap on the refill hole. Turn the compass upside down so that that cap is at the top and the bubble is right underneath it. I used a small syringe to put the fluid in. I had to stick a toothpick down there to work the fluid down into the hole and make sure it was entirely filled up to the top of the filler hole. Then, I screwed the top back on, and it's perfect again. Ritchie's contact numbers and more information are at their website here:

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/company/contactus.html

If you can't fix it yourself because the seal is defective, you can send it back to them, or they'll give you the name of a local service center. The guy said turnaround time for sending it back was about three weeks when I called.

One other thing, mine had a small light that I replaced at the same time. If yours still works, you'll have to cut the wires and then resplice them when you're ready to put the unit back on.
    [br]1992 Mako 241[br]2000 Yamaha 150 HPDI\'s[br]Holden Beach, NC

Comment

Ritchie service locations can be found here:

http://www.ritchienavigation.com/service/index.html
      Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Are you sure it is mineral spirits and not mineral oil?

jbsmako

'73 23'mako

Comment

Yes, it's DEFINITELY mineral spirits -- not mineral oil.

Comment

Just my 2 cents. The compass which came with my Mako when we got it was not an original "Mako" unit (I don't think one was offered in 1970). In any case, when the seals started to leak such that air entered the bulb, the local Richie guy said it was better to buy a new one rather than have the old one fixed. I did this and bought a better model. He also mentioned that if possible, remove the compass when the boat is put away for the winter. Here in Maine I think this is a good idea due to the extreme temperature shifts. As for the light, I retro-fitted plugs. Something to consider after investing the money to get yours re-done.
            Bungo Pete[br]Portland Maine[br]1970 Mako 22, 200 HP Mariner

Comment

Thanks for all the good info. I'll take the compass off this weekend and try to fix myself. Just to make sure...mineral spirits is the same as paint thinner?

Comment

Paul, look for ordorless paint thinner. It's pure mineral spirits. I even called the company that makes the stuff just to make sure. When you pour it in (the hole is small, so you'll need a syringe or a small straw), work it down with a toothpick to get all the bubbles out. Fill it to the rim of the filler hole, and you'll be all set.

Comment

Boy Scout advice:

Get a new one!

Your life (and probably others too) depends on it. Sound simple but what is it goes dry on one trip? Better to be safe than sorry. Or keep the original (true classic Mako look) and have an extra one just in case!

http://www.youreq.com/outdooreq/comp...tchie/d-85.asp

NSM

LAjas, PR
                  JAPD

Comment

A few years ago when my compass developed a buble, I replaced it with one of the new self contained electronic KVH units. It's great for these old eyes as the numbers are larger which makes it easier to read while under way. The other thing that I really like is that it is self compenstaing. The compass takes in to consideration all the iron and metal around it's immediate area and gives you a true magnetic heading (and recipical). Was about $300 but was well worth it. And if you do go this way, remember to carry a good pocket compass on the boat in case you loose power.

Mike
                    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

THERE ARE 2 COMPANYS IN HOUSTON THAT REPAIR THEM 2 GOT 3 DAY SERVICE BUT, THEY SAID THE PIVOT JEWELS NEEDED REPLACING AND IT ENDED UP WITHIN $10.00 OF A NEW ONE.
                      OVER BUDGET[br]PEARLAND TX

Comment

Working...
                      X