ONE TANK OR TWO? 1980 25' C/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ONE TANK OR TWO? 1980 25' C/C

WELL, WE GOT THE DECK OFF, AND SURE ENOUGH, NEITHER TANK HELD PRESSURE WHILE TESTING THEM. OUR NEXT STEP IS TO START CUTTING AWAY THE FOAM AND PULL BOTH TANKS OUT.

UPON INSPECTING, THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE ANY TYPE OF STRINGER OR SUPPORT BETWEEN THE TWO TANKS. WITH THIS BEING THE CASE, WOULD THERE BE ANY ADVANTAGES/ DISADVANTAGES IN JUST BUILDING ONE NEW TANK, RATHER THAN MAKING TWO NEW ONES ?

I WOULD THINK MAKING ONE NEW 150 GALLON TANK RATHER THAN THE ORIGINAL 51 & 100 GALLON TANKS, WOULD BE BETTER.

ANY SUGGESTIONS / TIPS

THANKS

JIM "TWO IN THE BOX"

If you go with one big tank, make sure you get baffles installed. I rode in a Mako 25 with one big tank and the fuel would slosh around making it rather sporty to in a cross sea.
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

The baffles go without saying. A Must and I'm sure the 100gal has baffles in it.

How about some pix's?[]

Comment

I put a new tank in my 76 25 and there is no sense in putting 2 tanks back in, you will lose 30 gallons over a single tank. You can have a tank built that will fit close and hold 180 gallons and will not shift if baffles are installed correctly. Mako put 2-3 inches of foam around the outside of each tank and that is the difference.

FLieman

Comment

THANKS,

THE ONE LARGE TANK DEFINITELY MAKES SENSE. I'VE ALREADY TALKED TO THE GUY WHO IS GOING TO BUILD THE TANK IN REGARDS TO VENTING/BAFFLES, SO I WILL TRY TO KEEP YOU ALL POSTED. THE ONLY THING I CAN'T FIGURE OUT, IS HOW TO PUT A NEW FILL LINE IN WITHOUT CUTTING THROUGH THE DECK AND THE SIDE. WE WERE TALKING ABOUT RUNNING THE NEW FILL LINE THROUGH THE SIDE OF THE CONSOLE, AND GOING STRAIGHT DOWN TO THE TANK.

THE DISTANCE FROM THE EXISTING FILL HOLES TO THE CONSOLE ITSELF ISN'T FAR AT ALL, AND I FIGURE IT WILL SAVE ALOT OF TIME AND AGGRAVATION BY PUTTING IT ON THE SIDE OF THE CONSOLE.

ANY MORE THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE SO FAR, I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED.

I'LL TRY TO GET SOME PICS, UNFORTUNATLEY, COMPUTERS ARE NOT MY STRONG POINT, SO HOPEFULLY I'LL FIGURE OUT HOW TO SEND THEM.

JIM "TWO IN THE BOX"

Comment

JIM KUHL I don't like to idea of fill and vent onto the deck of the boat. I will trap fumes in the boat with any burping out of fuel.

Major danger!

Please turn off your Cap lock on your computer. All Caps say your shouting.

Comment

You can pull the old fill lines out and replace them and still use the back fill that is existing for the big tank, then plug off the front fill that is what I did. You are going to have custom build the tank so you can put the fill where you want. Also on the pickup for the motor do not put it in the very rear as you normally would, the floor is much much deeper in the front of the fuel cavity then the rear that even with the boat on plane the fuel congregates in the middle of the tank. Hard to explain but rest assured the pickup needs to be toward the middle of the tank. Thanks

Flieamn

Comment

Sorry for yelling warthog, still getting use to using this thing.

Thanks again for all the info. , It should save me alot of aggravation. I was a bit leary on putting the fill line into the console also, but i'm still trying to figure out how to remove the old fill line without cutting up the floor & sides ?

Unfortunately, as i'm sure you guys know, there is not too much working room. A 180 gallon tank sounds great, except for the fuel bill.

Any hints/tips on getting the old fill lines out would be great.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Jim "two in the box"

Comment

Working...
                X