BEST GPS-CHARTPLOTTER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BEST GPS-CHARTPLOTTER

NEED YOUR ADVICE, WILL BE ASKING THE WIFE FOR A GPS-CHARTPLOTTER FOR FATHERS DAY ( I HOPE I GET IT ) ANY INPUT SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME ON WHICH IS BEST WHEN IT RELATES TO PRICE,EASY TO USE AND REALIBILITY ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Garmin

That said, Garmin has quite a few models to choose from. It all depends on how much room you have on your helm.

IMHO... only consider the color plotters. []

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/st...me.php?cat=269
    Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Hello Cubera18,

I just bought the Garmin 192C from WestMarine.

a significant upgrade over the 182 it replaces is that all of the N.American ocean blue charts pre programmed. Greatly reduces the need for the $150 chart chips- although they are still availible for inland etc.

I spoke with a number of Garmin users and ultimately found it for myslef- the user interface on the Garmin is very well designed = easy to learn how to use. Lots of point and click options. Logical feature menus.

Best thing I found was that WestMarine's price matching really works.

I went on line and found the internal antenna version for $705, printed a copy and took it to West. West was selling it for $899. They matched it- no hassles.

Of course I immediately spent the $200 on bottom paint (1 gallon).

Boat is supposed to splash this afternoon and the first-of-the-year voyage is this Sat. new paint, new GPS- I'm ready to go!
      1991 Mako 211[br]

Comment

I agree, Garmin is the way to go. If you can operate a base model gpsmap 162, you will have no problem with the top of the line 3010. Very user friendly.[]

Comment

My advice:

1. Get the biggest display you can afford and fit at your helm

2. Put it in a place that is going to be comfortable to view and out of direct sunlight, if possible, particularly if you go with color

3. Think about combining fishfinder display with gps display, if you have enough screen real estate

4. Make sure the unit is compatible with best charts available for your area, and make sure data you want, like tide information, is on the chart. Different charts display data like aids to navigation in different ways, so see them in person, if possible, so you will know the things you are looking for will be easy to read. Also consider whether you will want marina information, etc.

5. Think about interfacing with your VHF, so if you have to send an automated distress call your coordinates will also be broadcast to rescue agencies

It may seem obvious, but when you get it, learn how to use it. Read the manual and play around with it. These little devices have lots of functionality that most people never even learn how to use. There may be something that could be really helpful to you that you might not otherwise find out about.
          [br]1992 Mako 241[br]2000 Yamaha 150 HPDI\'s[br]Holden Beach, NC

Comment

You may want to concider the Navman GPS. I picked up a 5500i (internal antenna) for around $488 (minus the rebate of $175 makes this the el-cheapo route for you) Nice unit, built well plus a bunch of features I haven't seen in the Garmin. Fuel sensor as well as connections to VHF DSC functions. Also I plan on adding a Navman fish finder (just ordered a 4200) I like the idea of having a seperate screen for the FF. Just my 2 cents, Garmin does make a great product there's no knockin that. But if I can buy a new VHF, GPS, & a FF with the fuel sensor and a map chip for around $1000 I think that's worth concidering. Either way there's a great deal of choices out there. Good luck!!

http://www.navman.com/thedeal/#

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Navma...l+Antenna.html

Starmarine has a deal on shipping 16.95 overnight with DHL

Tim

PS: Happy Father's Day!!
            Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

I agree on the Garmin.

I have a Simrad, and while it's top of the line, it's just not user-friendly []
              ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

If price isn't too much of an issue, I liked the new Humminbird units out there. Just shy of 2 Grand for the "loaded" model.

http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=507

I guess it really depends on the budget and the use you expect to get out of it.

enjoy!!
                Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

Bang for the buck, my hat goes to Navman as well. I bought mine with the external antenna and the fuel senser for under $500 with the rebate and it's color too!!!!

regarding the color, don't settle for anything less than a color screen. I use to beleive that the color screen was just a waste of money but not anymore. Man is it nice to be able to drive down the ICW and know what color channel marker is coming up next. Remember RRR (red right returning)? Well now can staying focused on staying inside the channel and watching out for other boats instead of constantly having to scan and locate marker numbers and colors.
                  Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I had a hand held Garmin on the boat for awhile, but when I moved from the river to the bay, I wanted something bigger and better. I ended up going with the Lowrance Global Map 5000c. I liked the Garmin and I'm real happy with the Lowrance. The menu's are easy to navigate wihtout having to spend much time reviewing the instruction manual, very intuitive. Also, the Map Create software is real easy to use and load. I've only had it for 2 seasons, so I can't speak for long term reliability, but no problems at all yet.
                    Danny Facciola[br]1987 231 Suzuki 225[br]Edgewater, MD

Comment

go to boat store, tell sales person she wants a Garmin chart plotter and how much money ya wanna spend. Open gift.....install.

Watch out for space avaiable for mounting !!

Comment

Working...
                      X