what I will accept once I fall in love.

Besides keeping an eye on the web sites I know of, I'm trying to let

various dealers know I'm interested in any 20's offered as trade-

ins. Now I'll begin trying to cover the yards in CT & RI (with

digital camera in hand) to see what I can turn up. If any of you

can suggest any particular establishments you think might be

fruitful in this search, I'd be grateful. If one of you had first

hand knowledge of a VERY good prospect for me, I'd probably travel

about anywhere on the east coast to take a look and make a decision.

Since I will be rummaging through lots of yards in the next couple

of weeks, if anyone is looking for a specific model, let me know and

I'll get info and snap some pics if I run across what you're looking

for.

Thanks for the help!

Win Davis
    It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

If you see any 23'+ boats that are good for a total overhaul Im always searching. I want another project but I want a big one this time. You know everyone around here always is looking for the next one. So I would say if you see any Makos good or bad maybe just snap a picture somone is always looking for something. Unless the boats were once anchors. I dont think there is much business for them here
    John S.[br]Lutz, FL aka Tampa[br]Currently transplanted to Tallahassee

Comment

The 20 is a great boat IMO. [][]

When I was looking for my boat, I watched boattraderonline.com daily as well as the online classifieds for as many newspapers within a six hour drive, which is where I finanly found mine. When I was looking, boats were being bought sight unseen by others before I could even get to look at them. It was crazy, so when you see what you like, be ready to write the check. Just make sure you check it out very thoroughly if you don't want to get into a project. I would also look for a 20 from 83/84 to 92. In 89 they changed the transom to accomdate a 25" motor and increased the fuel tank to 100 gallons. Other than that they are almost identical.
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Sailor is right. When I saw mine I knew I wanted it regardless of the work that it may need in the future. For example, I have soft spots in my floor so I know it will need a new one but it is useable for the time being. Sometimes you just need to take it and worry about the work later unless of course the one you get you are falling through the floor b4 you can even take it out. I plan on keeping mine for a long time so any work I do to it will be benifitial. I really didn't want a project boat either but heck, what fun is that! I enjoy tinkering around with it while I am not using it. I wanted mine primarily to use and improve, mostly to use of course. I am not into the restoration business but don't mind restoring it for myself.
        Troy[br]Pensacola, FL[br]1977 21\' Mako Deep V[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20954

Comment

id="Georgia">id="size3">id="maroon">I was just looking on enay and found what seems to be a decent 20' mako(Miami Florida). Might be worth checking out.....[]
          Ft. Pierce, Fl[br]1986 21\"Mako[br]1996 175hp Johnson Outboard

Comment

If you can find one from 94' - 96', it's a great 201 !

Mako went deep V, tabs, 100 gallon tank, and it rides dry too.

Good luck with your search

Comment

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. I took a day off today and what a day it was! I tromped through 12 boatyards and did drive throughs at 5 or 6 other ones. I didn't fall in love with any that were for sale, though I saw a sweet 20 in a storage yard in Niantic CT that we got thrown out of. But getting run off by a blue haired lady made me feel young, so that was pretty cool, too. I also saw the Mako 20 from hell, complete with bubbled bottom, visibly heaved sole and a transom that appeared to have all the strength of a toasted slice of Wonder bread.

For anyone who is interested, I did see:

1978 21 with 1988 Merc200hp Black Max and a trailer for $8900. No T-top or bimini. Boat didn't look bad, but I wasn't spending much time looking... snapped a few quick pics. Phone is 860-227-1901

Also saw a 1986 231 with a 1992 225hp Mariner and a trailer. Have a few pics of that too. $16,000 That boat looked ok too, but my judgement may not be too accurate. same yard, Phone is 860-227-1901.

Note on both boats mentioned - I'll bet it would take pretty low offers to truely insult this yard - there were a LOT of boats there and they'd probably be very happy to move a few out.

Back to work tomorrow, but going to look some more over the weekend.

The quest will continue, but in the meantime I'll be getting my 14' DuraNautic aluminium yacht ready for some summer fun.

Again, thanks to all for your help.

Win

Comment

Have you taken a look at this one... It's in Westchester NY,, not a far trip for you. Seem like a nice price to start the neg.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...?TOPIC_ID=4680
                Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

Here is one in NJ I found this morning in the local paper, should be in the Monmouth County area ~45min to 1 hr south of NYC.

20' MAKO '77-115 HP Johnson '83, '81 EZ Load trlr, elec. winch, Loran, FF, more, $5500. Ready to go 732-341-1445, 732-672-5552

There is another one at a marina in Manasquan NJ, Manasquan Marine Center/Brielle Road, Manasquan 732-223-4277. Again about 1 hr from NYC. If seen this boat driving by and it looks like it need at least cosmetic work. Seems to have an older Johnson motor, no t top, and I cant remember if it has a trailer. Asking price was 5500.
                  Steve[br]Scituate MA

Comment

Thanks for the help...I appreciate the tips. Going to see one more 20, at least, tomorrow.

Tonight, looked at a 22 because it was close by. Trailer (1998)was quite nice. Hull is probably a '68 or '69 - no plate on stern. Sole was fairly solid- just a bit of softness on the forward casting deck. 1986 Ev rebuilt by Outboard Exchange a couple years ago... probably some good life left in it. No bimini or T-top, but parts for a new T-top are laying in the boat. Outside of hull is pretty well dinged up and transom, though maybe mostly solid has some suspicious cracks. Gunwales have lots of cracks, chips and gashes. Fuel tank has been replaced. It is a real fixer-upper. Boat is in Durham, CT The seller is asking $4700 OBO. He'll probably need to get rid of it at the end of the summer. Tel (203) 927-2416 Seller is Tim.

Thanks again for the help.

Win

Comment

Still looking for a 20. If anyone knows of any that have come up

for sale, please let me know! I appreciate all the help I can get!

I looked at one in Fair Haven, Mass on Friday that might be a great

fixer-upper for someone, but appeared to be too much work to suit my

purposes. That look-see was probably not worth the 300 mi round

trip. The person selling it would probably be happy to get any kind

of an offer on it, so if anyone wants more details, let me know.

Again, thanks to all who have helped!

Win

Comment

I have a line on an older (1970's era) Mako 19 (might be a 20) that is a storage lien. Boat has an older Evinrude on it. Marina management is looking to recoup some of their storage fees. Don't know if title is available.

Will find out asking price and will get back to all of you.

Ed

Comment

Thanks, Ed! I sent you an email.

I'll be interested to find out what the State of CT tells me about registering boats without titles. Going to DMV tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask.

Win

Comment

Working...
                          X