Another History Lesson - Mako 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another History Lesson - Mako 20

As far as I can tell, the Mako 20 dates back to 1971. Here are the specs: LOA-20'0" Beam-8'0" Draft-9" Transom-20" Weight-1600lbs. fuel-44 gal. Max HP-200

The hull lay-out consisted of a motor/splashwell, 2 side by side aft fish boxes, a forward in-deck storage compartment, and a forward anchor locker.

This model went untouched until 1976... The specs claim that the weight went up to 1775 lbs. But no other changes that I know of. I don't have brochures going back that far... Yet. But I doubt there were any layout changes. Things stayed the same until 1979 and here are the brochure cutouts from that year:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1980 we were given the Mako 20B It was an updated model. The splashwell was removed, the aft fish box layout was changed, some fuel capacity added, aft battery compartments with tray storage, and the bow storage and steps were done away with for a casting deck/storage. Here are the specs: LOA-20'0" Beam-8'0" Draft-9" Deadrise-19 deg. Transom-20" Weight-1775lbs. fuel-60 gal. Max HP-200

This model went unchanged through 1983

In 1984 we saw the Mako 20C, which several of our fellow members here possess.

The hull specs didn't change, but the aft fish box was done away with for an in-deck livewell or "leg-breaker" as I call them. They also lost the ugly yellow floor. This hull model was built through 1988.

In 1989 the Mako 201 hit the scene. This hull had a few inches added to its length, a bit of weight added, and a 25" transom. Here are the specs: LOA-20'3" Beam-8'0" Draft-9" Deadrise-19 deg. Transom-25" Weight-2150lbs. fuel-60 gal. Max HP-200

There were some minor changes to the cockpit layout, but nothing earth shattering. Mako produced this model through 1992

Mako didn't make a 20' model in 1993, But in 1994 they re-released a new Mako 201. The biggest changes came in the new cockpit layout and added fuel capacity. A new and stylish console was added, the transom cutout was made smaller, two aft jump seats were added, and the bow storage area was turned from a casting deck to a horseshoe configuration. Here are the specs: LOA-20'4" Beam-8'0" Draft-11" Deadrise-19 deg. Transom-25" Weight-2150lbs. fuel-100 gal. Max HP-200

This hull was built through 1996.

After 1996 the Mako 20 was gone. It was essentially replaced by the Mako 191, 192, and 195 models. The Mako 221 was the next step up from the 19' models.

I hope you fellas find this as enlightening as I do. I don't have many shots of actual Mako 20 and 201 models as I usually collect the shots of the boats that I am more so infatuated with. But this little 3 hour research session has taught me that the Mako 20 was a very good boat for her size. She obviously does a good job, because there are a bunch of the floating around with many happy owners!

Next, I promise that I will put together a History of the Mako 25 and her closest relatives.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Very nice work!!!!!! I'll look forward to seeing the 25 footers,because I have a 1988 254.

Gulf Breeze Fl.

[8D]
    Gulf Breeze Fl.

Comment

Thanks for that history lesson Ringleader.....I'm very happy with my 1973 20' and its great to see the original brochure from it

Comment

Thanks Ringleader. I'll send you some pics of my boat...when I find them in the storage unit.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Ring,

There's a good chance I've lost my mind but I swear I saw a new 201 late last year at Bass Pro Shops.
          SCMako17[br]1990 Mako 230 WA[br]Yamaha 200 2-stroke[br]Greenville, SC

Comment

Ringleader-

thanks for the lesson!

man I enjoy this website!!!!
            \"Dr. Pheelgood\"[br]1995 mako 282[br](2)1995 200hp Mercs[br]

Comment

There might have been... But I haven't seen any 2003 or 2004 Mako brochures... So I'm just going off of what I could find.

Comment

Thank you Ringleader. Very much appreciated. The 20 I just bought had a serial number that indicates it was built in 1983 and is a C model. It has a 25" transom. I called some Mako dealers in Florida (couldn't find a contact number at Mako) and was told by one that the C model was the begining of 25" transom. Thanks for the great website and congratulations on your future baby.
                Tampa, FL [br]Mako 20C Merc 200[br]

Comment

TampaTom - are you sure about the transom? My 85 has a 20" transom and I'm pretty sure that they didn't make the 25" transom until 1989 based on the makomarine.com website stats and Ringleader's history lesson above.
                  1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                  1985 Mako 20c - sold
                  Fort Walton Beach, FL
                  http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Thanks! I went off of the brochures and the Mako specs for the history... but thats not always right. And sometimes mako put out a custom made boat too. So your 25" transom doesn't surprise me at all.

Are you the original owner of the boat? If not, do you know if it was ever hospitalized or had any major surery? Just some thoughts.

Comment

I am new to this forum and cant tell you how much I enjoyed the m20 post. My kids and I have just spent a 6 month resto. on a 1980/81 m20. It is def. not a "b" model. Mine looks just like the mid 70s that are in your pics. I had to make new doors for the console and the front hatch. We use it for fishing and tubing and as a coast guard aux. boat. Thanks again for your time you put into this research dave hodson uscg aux michigan
                      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Nice work Ring,

Stuff like that makes this site so good. I dont know how you are able to do all this. Build a new house, work on your mako, start a new project on your father in laws boat plus keep up this site. Sometimes I think there are two of you.

Strick
                        Oakley, California

Comment

Thanks fellas. They keep me busy on the weekends. I imagine whenthe house gets moreso underway, I'll be diverting more attention to that. But since nobody has toched the place in 3 weeks... I have nothing to do but work on boats. Thursday nights are my nights to put together webpage type things like these history presentations. I do most of my scanning during the week... Like tonight I have 2 Mako Owners Manuals to scan... One is for the Mako 228 which should be a really nice addition to the manuals section.

Comment

the diagram from the brochure is great.

thanks for the history lesson. I've been looking for an owners manual for 70's 20' since I got the boat. No luck yet.
                            1974 20\'[br]2005 Sabalo 22\'[br]Gainesville Fl[br]

Comment

Sailor,

Mine is defenitly a 25" transom. It doesn't appear to have been modified. The serial number on the transom and in the anchor locker match and end in 083C. I called a couple of Mako dealers. Both told me that it's an 83 C model (brochure says C starts in 84). Also one of them told me that his friend has a mid 80's C model with a 25" transom and pretty sure that's when 25" started (which he noted conflicted with Mako's website specs.)

However I still wonder because the boat has a 201 placards on it, which I assume replaced the originals that were probably broken.

Had it out today. Man it was blowing. Much nicer ride than my Whaler.

Picture here: http://www.geocities.com/hkendalldesign/photos
                              Tampa, FL [br]Mako 20C Merc 200[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X