93 Mako233 walkaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Mako233 walkaround

I've developed a fairly serious leak into the bilge with visible entry of water at stb stern bottom corner of fuel tank frame work. Directly above the leak is a hose which is designed to discharge water which may collect w/i this fuel tank frame work. The water is discharged through a hose which runs aft and passes throgh a scupper located on the stb side stern transom of the motor bracket. I believe the water is entering through the scupper and traveling through the hose and into the fuel tank frame work.However this has never happened during the 4 years I've owned the boat and I don't know what has changed to effect the scupper and hose. I've had a fiberglass man look at the bottom and he doesn't see anything which would explain leak. Anyone have anything to offer?

if it's ment to drain the fuel tank coffin chances are that it's below the water line. If so, that hose and scupper you talk about probably has a check valve in it somewhere. Could probably mean the valve is going bad.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by HungOne

if it's ment to drain the fuel tank coffin chances are that it's below the water line. If so, that hose and scupper you talk about probably has a check valve in it somewhere. Could probably mean the valve is going bad.

Comment

quote:

Thanks for your reply.

The scupper is clearly below water line but hose entry into top of fueltank coffin may or may not be. If it's above waterline then should not be need for check valve.

I'm going to put plug in scupper and put boat in water this weekend.

Comment

like I mentioned in the email, if that hose is that high up than it probably isn't to help drain the coffin. More likely, you use to have an above deck live well. I'm thinking the bait tank was removed and the plumbing hose was just left under the deck. If you still have an above deck live well the drain hose may have fallen off.
          Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

quote:

like I mentioned in the email, if that hose is that high up than it probably isn't to help drain the coffin. More likely, you use to have an above deck live well. I'm thinking the bait tank was removed and the plumbing hose was just left under the deck. If you still have an above deck live well the drain hose may have fallen off.

I do have a live well that is built into the stern but I've identified all hoses for fill and for discharge both visually and inowners manual diagram of piping. There is a seperate overflow discharge line at top of baitwell that is discharged through hose and scupper which also passes throgh stern motor transom and is alongside the scupper for the fueltank coffin discharge. The entry of hose into(or from depending on how you look at it) is well above waterline and that particulal scupper does not have nor would there be any reason for a check valve.

All things point to the fuel coffin discharge line as being the point of entry. As I mentioned in separate email , I've recreated same leak observed with boat in water by inserting water hose through scupper with boat on trailer. i'm still mystified though b/c hose connection to fuel tank coffin is not clearly below waterline and if not , can't see how water would travel above water line for discharge into coffin (and then out bottom and into bilge) even though scupper is below waterline.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
            X