1975 23 mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 23 mako

I have a friend that is looking at a 1975 23 ft. Has 93 200 hp Johnson - unknown hours. Owner says transom is sound - going to see boat this week. Has new dodger / spray hood - about 1 year old. Minimal electronics-- Depth finder & VHF. Has a roll on trailer.

Asking price is $7500.

Please give feedback on price - I think he is high on the price.

Also please give comments on the Mako 23 - the more info the better.

Thirty year old boat - a problem??? I know a few of you guys have one like this. Please comment

Is it a deep v or modified v. Deadrise, etc.etc

Thanks for all comments and info

Dan
    Dan[br]Pass Christian, Ms[br](currently in Slidell, La since that little thunderstorm in 05!)

Warthog5, Wilson Ayala(both in the project boats section), myself and a few others have this hull. This hull is flatter in the aft than a true deep-vee. Original specs are for a 20" shaft motor and the boat drafts 10". That is a bit more shallow than the deep-vee boats. See the Mako Marine site for specs. If the transom is solid and you find no soft spots on the deck and bow, then you should have no problems. Ask if the boat has been stored outdoors mainly or in a garage. If outdoors, you will probably find some rot somewhere.

I paid $7000 for mine with a '91 225 johnson and trailer. Try to get him to come down a little.

I'll be interested to see what Warthog and Wilson have to say.
    Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Comment

Thanks for your reply Tom.I will be very interested to see what they have to say. He does not have the fixxer up ability that some of you guys have -- so it won't look like Wilson's!!!!!If it is sound, he will have a great boat.
      Dan[br]Pass Christian, Ms[br](currently in Slidell, La since that little thunderstorm in 05!)

Comment

Tom, since it is flatter in the back,& not a true deep V -- how does it handle rough water?

Comment

Personally I think it's a tad high because of the motor - it's underpowered and what are the maintenence records? There's very little value in the motor. If there's a t-top, leaning post, electronics, etc., in decent shape, that gets thrown into the mix. If they haven't changed the fuel tank, or done any other modifications, you can bet that there's wet wood - transom and aft part of the stringers. But that's easily cured with a sawsall, a grinder, some West system, and Classic Mako.com!
          \'73 22 Mako Reedville, VA

Comment

This hull is going to be a little rougher in high seas. The trade off is while drifting, it will not rock back and forth as bad as a true deep-vee.
            Houston, TX[br]1975 Mako 23

Comment

plus a modified V doesn't require as much power as a deep V.
              Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

Thanks for the replies from all. Saw the boat today for a couple of minutes & shower passed over. Didn't get to go over like I wanted, but to say the boat is a fixxer upper is an understatement. Anyone want a nother "project" boat??

Dan

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by mchar

Personally I think it's a tad high because of the motor - it's underpowered......

I find your opinion regarding this boat interesting. I have a 1970 22 with a 200 Mariner and don't find it underpowered at all. Due to the sea conditions here in Maine, I can't really run it flat out unless I want to get airborne[:u]. Maybe down in the Gulf it is not an issue. Just my 2 cents.
                  Bungo Pete[br]Portland Maine[br]1970 Mako 22, 200 HP Mariner

Comment

Working...
                  X