81 M224

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 M224

I'm thinking of picking up an 81 224. This is my first visit to the site so I'm hoping you guys might be able to tell me somethings to keep an eye out for. The boat seems to be in great shape but it's tough to tell on line and it would be a long distance transaction so inspection will be a one shot deal. I'd like to have a good check list to reference when I see it. I think it's still on the original gas tank which I'm guessing is going to be aluminum with little or no access. True? Any areas more likely to have stress cracks forming? Loose rails? Hows the anchor, tackle storage? How do they handle?

Boat has a 200hp O/B. What kind of performance should I expect? Boat would be used in Long Island sound. Moving from a bowrider used predominantly for cruising with a fair bit of skiing and a little fishing to this. Thinking is that as I age fishing is becoming more and more intresting than skiing to me but, still hoping for a decent hole shot. Anyway, I don't want to ramble too long here. I'll continue to check out the forum but any information you folks can share is surely appreciated.
    1973 23\' SeaCraft Tsunami w/ 300hp Etec[br]Norwalk, CT

I have an 82 224 (see signature) with a 200 hp on it. I personally don't think it would do a very good job poppin' a skier out of the water. But I have never tried.

The gas tank is not easily inspected. However, you can get to it fairly easily if it does need to be replaced.

I personally love mine for fishing though, and fish the Sound every weekend in the summer.

There are other guys on the site here that will give you more of the "what to look out for" stuff.
    1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

Jonathan - I recently purchased an '82 224 with a '93 200 Johnson. The boat is unbelievable in the water - experienced 4-6 2 weekends ago and couldn't be more pleased. With 200hp my max speed is just under 40mph, could be faster but a good speed for that size boat. There is more than enough storage, however I have been advised to remove back side fish boxes - I have not fished enough to know if they will be in the way. There is much more experience than myself on this site, but my first concern would be the transom. I knew the boat I purchased and only softspot, repaired before I purchsed, was deck over gas tank. Age of motor should also be considered - I had mine checked by mechanic. Depending on resources and price of boat, if long distance purchase you should consider getting a survey.
      \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
      \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

The motor is supposed to be mid 90's, powerhead rebuilt in 2002. The price and cirumstances would make a survey difficult at best. Checking the specs on this site I see it's rated for up to 250hp so I'm guessing that you're probably right. Slalom starts may be a thing of the past with this boat (at least until repowered with a 250) but glad to hear that it is a comfortable ride in heavier waves. Current boat tops out around 55mph but would gladly gieve up 10mph at the top end to be able to cruise 5 mph faster comfortably in a chop. Is it a dry riding hull? More research on my own own confirms that the tanks is accesible with out a saw which is nice. Other than that if this guy is for real the hull seems to be of no concerns. The motor, seems like the weak spot though. 8 years ago when we switched to the I/O it was to avoid the loud noise levels of the o/b's. I'm a little leery of heading back to that but looking forward to the easier maintenance. Thanks for the information, keep it coming and with any luck, this will go through and I'll become a permanent fixture here.

Thanks again,

Jon

Comment

Hi Jon,

I've had my 224 since '94 and believe it's one of the best all-around hulls Mako made. It has more cockpit space than any 23' boat I've ever seen and my fishboxes do not get in the way.

As far as power goes, a 200hp is bare minimum -- a 225hp is a much better fit. I repowered from a '90 Evinrude 225 to a Yamaha F225 18 months ago and couldn't be more pleased. I cruise at 4,000 at 33MPH, burning just under 10GPH. That's with a T-Top and bottom paint.

Things to look for: Transom obviously, hatch hinges, wiring, battery location (recommend you move them up to the console), transom drain sleeves (those two brass sleeves that let water run out -- if they're cracked, replace them.)...that's about it.

Prop Blast
          Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

55MPH???????????????????????????????????????
            1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Jonathan - This is probably the driest center console I have ever fished.

Prop Blast - how does that Yahama get up on plain and what is top speed? I can't imagine what kind of range you have - does the '81 come with 112 gallon tank? That is exactly how I would like to rig mine (when I can convince my wife to let me spend the money). If I could use as much as I like the fuel savings would cover a monthly note - if financed. One last question - Why move battery?
              \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
              \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Capt Andy: the current boat that tops out at 55 is not a Mako. It's a bowrider that was made by Thunderbird, Formula's parent.

I have the same question about moving the batteries. I would would be concerned that moving them to the console would be too long of a run for the heavy duty cables. Of course, it is drier up there and it does mean a much shorter run for all the small wires for the console but, is it worth it. Does moving the wwight forward make mucha of a difference in a boat this size?

By the way, this has a 4 blade prop. It seems to me like I usually see those added as a way to coax more performance form an underpowered boat.

Anyone have any problems with water over the stern or slow scuppers?

Comment

I believe the Mako 224 is the ultimate 23 feet or under center console. To me the Regulator 23 is the only boat in this class that is better, but keep in mind the Mako 224 was designed and built almost 20 years before the regulator ever even came along.

Comment

Question #1. How does the 224 get up on plane with the F225 and what is top end? The boat gets up on plane just fine -- I've never timed it, but certainly a lot faster than many of the naysayers out there who have never actually run a boat with a PROPERLY rigged engine. Top end is 43MPH at 5700 RPMs with 3 adults and half a tank of fuel.

Question #2. Fuel tank size. I've still got the original fuel tank -- 121 gallons -- yep and it still seems to be in good shape. So yes, I've some some pretty decent range at cruise -- 3MPG!!

Question #3. Moving the batteries. The F225 weighs 583lbs!!! -- an even 100lbs heavier than the engine it replaced, a '90 Evinrude 225. The batteries (I have 2xgrp 27s) installed under the rear accessory boxes on those "shelf" on the port and starboard sides. By moving both batteries to the console I basically zeroed out the weight increase of going from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke and my "float line" remained perfect. The boat is not stern heavy at all. On top of that, My rigging is cleaner and I've moved the batteries to a much drier environment.

BTW, I "upgraded" my batteries significantly based on the recommendation from Pages Creek Marine in Wilmington, NC. I've got 2xgrp 27 AGMs now and they are SUPER. OK, I paid $150 per, but I never worry about having a battery problem. The new 4-strokes and DFI engines have a greater battery requirement and if you're running them you need serious reserve power. I'm amazed at the people who head out for a day on the water without ensuring their battery(s) are fully charged -- I know, I used to do it!

Props. I run Yamaha's SWS 17M prop -- it's 3-bladed. I don't see the merit of 4-bladed props for single engine applications on a boat like a Mako. However, they do help with flats skiffs.

Tom
                    Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

I have an 85 224 w/ an 85 Black Max. Have tried deep water slalom twice. I spend five days a week at the gym and cant get up on one ski behind it. This is not a ski boat. BTW I have also had T-birds in the past. You will get the same solidness that you are use to in a 224. What the 224 is and as others have said, is a great allppurpose fishing boat with excellent storage and layout. I will repower to a 225 or 250 but to tell you the truth... the 200 is fine. Unless I am in the Keys there are very few WOT days in s. FL offshore. An althogh noisy as hell... I think those old mercs are on par for holeshot with todays 225s.

These are great used boats and you should not pay a lot to get get it. Mine was $3000 on a brand new continental alum trailer and the motor has been great for five years. Got the deal because the previousowner was told the tank was bad. Pulled the floor, fixed the leaky hose and good to go. Enjoy

Comment

$3k? Now I'm thinking that at nearly 3x that this one may not be such a hot deal. Still seems competitive with local prices though. I'm not going to be shocked if I need to replace the tank but I've done that before on an old Sea Ray so that doesn't frighten me too much. From what I understand I can unscrew the deck to remove it right? No cutting or glasswork required?

I know this is laid out as a pretty serious fishing boat and I'm fine with that. There are more days that I wish the current boat was laid out better for fishing than there are that I am currently enjoying skiing. I have two concerns really. One, I'm not much of a fisherman at this point. A bit of a hack really so this is definitely more fishing boat than I really need. Two, will this boat be of any use at all for just relaxing on. Truth is on a lot of days we'll just go out to enjoy the sun while reading a book and listening to the game on the radio. That's where the size and storage of this really appealls to me. @ 22'7" I'm hoping there's enough room to spread a towel or put out a chair to just relax andenjoy the afternoon. More accurately, maybe let some one do that in the bow while someone else is fishing in the stern. Otherwise, this boat is set up with a leaning post so, there would be no seating. I understand the benefits of that for fishing but, it won't make for a comfortable day with women, children or aging parents on board if they can't sit down at all. Ever.

Actually, one other concern is the mustard/cat turd brown floor color. I know it may not be that attractive to many people but does it really get that hot? If we were to spray it white, would we have to redo the nonskid or would the texture come through. Would Imron last on a floor application?

Comment

3 grand is a rediculous steal. Iwouldn't part with mine for 4 times that amount.

Comment

I would have to agree with Mako224 on this one.

$3000.00 would be a bargain, even if it was just the hull.
                            1982 224 w/200 \'Rude[br]Andover, CT

Comment

Well the guy who's selling it hasn't been returning my emails all week so good deal or not, I may be out of luck. Very disappointing.

I still have my fingers crossed though. I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything. Maybe he's just on vacation or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X