Anyway to post excel worksheet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to post excel worksheet?

I've seen a lot of discussions on fuel consumptions with different hulls, engines and props so i made up an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all the different #'s. Yes, i'm bored out here in the middle of the GOM, till Friday's wx that is. The problem is i can't figure out how to post it. I'd be more than glad to update the #'s as people submitted them just like warthog is doing with the "website info" post, which by the way is a great post. Here's what happens when i do a copy and paste...

Mako Hull Fuel Efficiency #'s

Engine Prop Most Efficient WOT

Hull Year HP Make Year Stroke Pitch RPM's MPG Speed RPM's MPG Speed Owner

21a 1979 225 Johnson 1996 14.25 x 19 4500 2.2 33 mph 5700 Michigan Dave

21b 1988 225 Johnson 14.25 x 22 4500 2.25 32 mph 6000 52 mph Alcedo
    Pete[br]MaColAh III [br]93\' 261b[br]HO 200 hp ETEC\'s[br]Cape Cod[br]

If anyone know's, it will be Pat aka Cyclops.

Comment

Copy the Excel table over to Power Point, and save the Power Point file as a *.jpg file. Host the *.jpg file on Photobucket and link it here.
      St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

OK, there are a few ways to skin this cat... AND unfortunately the BEST way is not enabled on the forum. The best way would be save it to HTML (it becomes a table). BUT, in our wizdom of keeping this place safe for users who don't know how to protect machines from trojan attacks, we disabled HTML.

I don't think there is a direct way of doing a table in the forum, but I'll find out.

Your easy bet (though not updateable) is to do as Chasmo mentioned and import Excel to Powerpoint and save it as a JPEG slide and then do an image insert.

You might be able to save the Excel out to a tab delimited text, open the file with Notepad, and then copy - paste into the forum. As long as your rows are not too long, it should look OK. This would be updateable/editable from the forum post.

I'll try and work out some other methods of doing similar things and see what we can come up with.

-Pat.
        18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

quote:

You might be able to save the Excel out to a tab delimited text, open the file with Notepad, and then copy - paste into the forum. As long as your rows are not too long, it should look OK. This would be updateable/editable from the forum post.

-Pat.

I tried the text route and it copied over perfectly, but when I previewed the my post, all of the spaces between columns were deleted. Unless every entry was the equal amount of characters, the table would be really jumpy; the columns would be very uneven and hard to read.
          St. Pete Beach, FL

Comment

Pat, I could email you the spread sheet if that would help out. Whatever you think is easiest because your last post was waaayyyy over my head. I just know enough to be dangerous to a computers health.

Comment

Well, it all depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to actually post the spreadsheet, I have no clue other than some sort of file attachment.

But if all you want to do is show someone the results of the data input its simple. While looking at the spreadsheet, there is a button on the upper right of your keyboard called "Print Screen". When you hit this button it takes a snapshot of whatever is on your monitor at the time and places it on the clipboard. Whatever you see on your monitor will copied. Open up the Paint program (or similar) open new file and paste. Then save as a picture file. .jpg , .gif, .bitmap, whatever. Then upload that picture to Photobucket, copy the IMG code and post it for all of us to see.

Now if you are wanting to show us the formula you were using so that all of us could set up our own spreadsheet to use at home and having trouble with the copy and paste, do the same as above with one exception. While viewing the spreadsheet, hit the buttons "CTRL" + "`" (accent grave, usually located next to the 1 key). When you do this, all the cells are displayed with the formulas in them. Then printscreen it, save it, upload it, and post it for all to see.

I know it sounds complicated, but I figured that if you could use the Excel program, you should be able to handle this.

Note: If you hit the "ALT" + "Print Scrn", it will only copy what is in the open window on your desktop, not everything.

Such as the following:

Just Print Screen

ALT + Print Screen

Formulas after hitting CTRL + `

[br]Keys to Life:[br]Life is all about ass; you\'re either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.[br]www.kjndiver.org[br]Orange, TX / Lake Charles, LA

Comment

Lets see how this looks...

Thanks to KJNDIVER for helping me post this.

Whadda ya think?

Comment

That is great! Excel is great for comparing almost anything that can be quantified, so I'm sure we'll make good use of this break through. Thanks KT & KJN!

Win
                  It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

Pat- can we post PDF files? If not, I guess it's still a toss-up whether to save the sheet as a pdf (see below), then drag it into another program - I'd probably use photoshop - and save it as a tif or jpg. I'm kinda laughing, because one of the best things about this forum is that it's not always so much about what's the right way or the wrong way as it is about seeing another workable way to skin that cat.

On my version of excel from office '03, there is a button on the main menu bar at the top that says "Adobe PDF". Press that and it converts the file and lets you save it on your hard drive. I tried it and it saved the file and opened the acrobat reader to display the PDF.
                    It\'s a Mako.[br]\'82 20B,\'90 E-150[br]Woodbridge, CT

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Davis

Pat- can we post PDF files?

That's one of the things I'm looking into right now. Though, if you aren't rich enough to get Acrobat to make PDF files, remember that you can download the free software ghostscript (there are others as well). Anyway, I don't think a pdf will directly post and show up. I'll see what I can conjur up.

-Pat.
                      18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Working...
                      X