Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a newbie to the board. My dad has the 254 mako with the fuel tank issues and I am a private captain for a lawyer who has a 1985 285 mako and I run a 26 foot glacier bay full time (plus I went to school with ringleaders wife) Happy to be in a classic mako place
    Slidell, La

Welcome aboard. Weren't you running a 282 for a while too? Hows the 285 do? What's good and what's bad about it? Wet ride, sloppy ride, slow as a snail? Give me the skinny. I've often thought about getting one of those and turning it into a fisharound or even an express type layout with a small tower.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Completely forgot about the 282. I ran that as a charterboat for a couple months. I guess I have run a lot of makos. The 282 is sweet. The one I run has the center console design instead of side console. IT is very stable and pretty dry and has a good ride for a monohull. We cruise about 30 knots with twin 225 yamaha 2 strokes. Burn around 180-200 gallons of fuel on overnight trips to Mars and back. The biggest complaint is the complete and utter lack of useable fishbox space. I can only put four 50 pound class yellowfin in the boat. We are working on a custom fishbox for the boat now. I like it better then the 282 mako in general although I did like the 282 it was a pretty quick boat and had a nice ride although it was wetter and also suffered from a lack of fishbox space. If mako ever learned their customers actually wanted to bring fish home with them it would certainly help their sales.
      Slidell, La

Comment

I plan to buy a 1990-1993 Mako 261B in the future. I'm going to take out the console for sure and rebuild either a small pilot house type console or a walk-in console with a coffin box in front of the console. Either way the above deck bow storage is nice and all, but its gonna meet Mr. Saw-zall. I'll make the bow of the boat level decking like it should be. Its just too much trouble to fight a fish and have to stepp over stuff and up onto stuff.

Comment

The 285 is in a whole nother category compared to the 261. Fully fueled I was told the 285 runs a little over 10,000 pounds by the owner. The 282 if I am not mistaken is a 261 with a eurotransom. Overall I would rather fish the glacier bay on a day to day basis as it just rides so smooth and has so much fishbox room.
          Slidell, La

Comment

I like some aspects of the ride on the GB and cats in general. They cut the waves and come down so smooth, but that side-to-side crap gets to me after a while. Last trip out in a GB we were in 6' coming from the stbd quarter (west wind). That damned boat went completely on its side more than once! The friggin stbd engine came completely out of the water several times. I got drenched because I was standing on the port side and that stupid radar arch (I hate those things, they suck for fighting a big fish) dipped in the ocean and soaked my ass.

If I were in your business, I'd be in a cat without doubt. But, since I'm a weekend warroir and one who gets dreadfully seasick. I have to go when its 3' or less anyways. So I might as well have a boat that looks sexy on the water. Cats just don't do it for me cosmetically. Call me shallow I guess.

The 261 would probably be a good boat for me. I could modify it a bit and put twin 225's on it and she would fly! 50+ mph i'm betting. I like to go fast too.

Comment

Which insane marvelette were you with that day. They dont like to slow down for anything because the boat can take it at speed. I have a t-top on my glacier bay so I dont have the fish fighting issues.
              Slidell, La

Comment

I think it was Brett... The one who's girlfriend decks with him. I haven't been impressed with the Marvel guys. We went out with Timmy in summer 2001. We landed 2 80lb yellowfins, but his deck hand slept the whole time and while sleeping beauty was snoozing, Timmy missed my yellowfin at the boat! A blind guy could have gaffed that fish. I have it on video... Its sickening.

When I went with Brett last Feb. we had a piss-poor day at the lump. Real rough, brown water, and 4 blackfin. He worked pretty hard, but was a bit too cocky for my taste.

My biggest problem with those guys is that I want to fish! I don't want the rod handed to me. I'm a big boy and I can set my own line and hook a fish too. I pay them to bring me to the fish. I understand that most of their clients aren't real fishermen, but they can at least give me the option.

But now that Ryan bought the Intrepid, I don't have to worry about that I guess.

Comment

I typically run a lot different then the marvelettes. I dont carry a deckhand at all so I need help from my clients and I let them run lines although I normally run a line as well. I think of my self as deck commander and my fisherman are the commandos who take my orders LOL for lack of a better way of putting it. Brett by the way is now married to his deckhand.
                  Slidell, La

Comment

I just love taking orders from Speck.....only I haven't been able to get out there yet this year. Thomas's wife will not let him fish with us again, she got tired of cutting the grass last fall[]
                    1979 18 Mako Backcountry[br]1991 Mirage 29cc \"Tuner\"[br]Gainesville, FL

Comment

I am not sure the marina Welcomes Thomas back anyways. He was a handful and that boat in Venice marina is a bertram by the way. It was totally retrofitted though.
                      Slidell, La

Comment

Working...
                      X