224/221 hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 224/221 hybrid

First time post new member.... Here is an odd bird. I bought my Mako 22 approximately three years ago from a guy in Rocky Mount, NC...a good guy for sure, the kind u like to deal with. Having grown up in the Sheepshead Bay Area in Brooklyn NY and having participated in the NY bight extensively in my youth, the ownership of this boat was and is .. a big deal then and now. What is significant is the boat was originally an 1984 224.. The original owner was from Wilmington NC. I am the third owner. Sometime in 1991 the original owner had difficulty with the boat and he went to Mako with this issue. I have the letter from Mako signed by Brett Schwebbe, VP Operations dated 9/7/91 stating as follows.. " We have inspected your 224 hull and have also had a marine surveyor inspect the same. In our opinion, the foam shot that locks the deck to the Hull is off ratio on the A side. This we feel is allowing excess movement in the area during normal operation. We feel this extra movement is allowing the bottom to flex until it fractures at the stringer.

Understand that we have no obligation to repair this vessel since it is well outside the warranty period. We, however, look at these cases as individual boats that sometimes requires our attention no matter how old they are.

For obvious reasons, we are not going to attemt a repair of this hull. In turn, after we have received written acceptance and understanding of this proposal from you, we are going to give you a new hull. The hull will be the 221 version with the recessed trim tabs. we hope this does not bother you since they are the same hull. It will take approximately (4) to (6) weeks from receipt of this letter signed by you for the vessel to be completed. The vessel will carry the exact hull numbers and all equipment that was sent down since we are only replacing the hull and not the deck.

Again, sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused and look forward to your reply. " signed etc etc As one might expect the deal went thru... the boat is powered with a 1995 200 Yamaha Salt Water Series and damn near looks new I post this for your comment.. pictures to follow as soon as i figure out how to. One issue i have is .. WOT is 5000 Rpms with a top speed of .. Approx 27 knots approx 31 MPH i have seen wher Mako indicates 42mph with same power. I believe i am over propped. The boat has run flawlessly for me.
    EXPLRGAB 224/221[br]PORT ST LUCIE, FL

very interesting. A 224 inner liner on a 221 Hull. Sounds like Mako took good care of this customer. Heres pixs of the boat...

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

That is very interesting and good to hear. I definitely think you should be getting more speed out of her. What size prop are you turning?
      1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
      1985 Mako 20c - sold
      Fort Walton Beach, FL
      http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Interesting story. With that kind of attention, your hull should be very well made now. Boat looks good, too. Is that flag attached to an antenna?
        [br]1992 Mako 241[br]2000 Yamaha 150 HPDI\'s[br]Holden Beach, NC

Comment

explrgab - neat story & beautiful boat. I have an '82 224 with a '93 Johnson 200 with T-Top (if that really adds weight) and with a full tank of gas (112 gallons) @ 5000 RPM I run 38 mph.
          \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
          \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Frankly, that was normal treatment for a Mako customer/owner back in the 80's and early 90's. Interesting T-top mount...at first look I couldn't tell where it was mounted. Is there enough support for it?

As a 224 owner, let me give you my perspective:

1. This is a pretty heavy hull with 19 degrees of deadrise. A 200hp is going to work really hard to move that boat -- especially with a T-top. A 225hp is a better fit. Believe the SWS 200, correctly propped, should get about 5,500 RPMs at WOT.

2. I've got a Yamaha F225 my 224, with a SWS 17" prop and T-Top. Top speed at WOT and three adults is 43 MPH (5700 RPMs). I cruise at 4,000 RPM at 32 MPH and get 3.2 MPG. My guess is that you're over propped -- maybe running a 19" wheel. Take it down a notch.

2. If changing props doesn't raise your RPMs, you may need to get the carbs rebuilt. Your boat was likely sold through Pages Creek Marine in Wilmington -- that's where I bought my two Makos (when I lived in Fayetteville). Pages Creek is now a Pursuit/Yamaha dealer. They are a family owned and run, 1st rate operation. Give Brad Phillips a call, he's the GM/President and ask him his advice. Better yet, make an appointment to go see them sometime.

http://www.pagescreek.com

Good Luck,

Tom
            Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Thanks for the picture posting.. those photos were taken by the XO of the boat... working on different aspect shots, will update .... The size of the prop is unknown..not smart i know...There was not a lot of time last year; I had the boat in a storage yard and had to put in and out (labor intensive) I bought a new SS prop last year...being the anal (lets call that detailed) guy I am, I was very clear to state all the specs and expectations which were that the new prop would maximize the potential of hull and 1995 200 Yamaha. I was told that this was the prop as speced and the motor was good to go at WOT 5000 RPM... Anyway, I know I am probably over propped. The boat is 2hrs and 20mins away at the slip. I will check out the size over the weekend and request feed back. Note to Holden Beach (do u know Joe Alphonzo): The flag is attached to a now defunct antenna. I need to cut off the protruding portion of the antenna but, the fishing has been hot and one must have priorities.. Many plans for off season issues.. As for the hull .. I have not noticed any irregularities.. it rides very solid... Foam up to the rod holders...had trouble getting some out during initial spruce up. The boat never had a bow rail.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Prop Blast

Frankly, that was normal treatment for a Mako customer/owner back in the 80's and early 90's. Interesting T-top mount...at first look I couldn't tell where it was mounted. Is there enough support for it?

As a 224 owner, let me give you my perspective:

1. This is a pretty heavy hull with 19 degrees of deadrise. A 200hp is going to work really hard to move that boat -- especially with a T-top. A 225hp is a better fit. Believe the SWS 200, correctly propped, should get about 5,500 RPMs at WOT.

2. I've got a Yamaha F225 my 224, with a SWS 17" prop and T-Top. Top speed at WOT and three adults is 43 MPH (5700 RPMs). I cruise at 4,000 RPM at 32 MPH and get 3.2 MPG. My guess is that you're over propped -- maybe running a 19" wheel. Take it down a notch.

2. If changing props doesn't raise your RPMs, you may need to get the carbs rebuilt. Your boat was likely sold through Pages Creek Marine in Wilmington -- that's where I bought my two Makos (when I lived in Fayetteville). Pages Creek is now a Pursuit/Yamaha dealer. They are a family owned and run, 1st rate operation. Give Brad Phillips a call, he's the GM/President and ask him his advice. Better yet, make an appointment to go see them sometime.

http://www.pagescreek.com

Good Luck,

Tom

Prop Blast and Fayetteville (82nd and SF guy here), two things to relate to. The T Top (clearly vintage.. laughing) is supported by two stainless pipes that run clear thru the console to a stainless bracket the width of the console, and mounted to the deck, fairly substantial.. my friend with the Contender tells me I should get a new T Top... My view is .. don't fix it if it ain't broke. Additionally, I give up no companionway/cockpit space around the console either fore or aft to deck mounting points. It is not sexy/pretty, but it's functional and there will be other priorites short of it going BRAVO/DELTA. I concur with your assessment on the 225 and the 17" prop..I am figuring i have a 19"... Will investigate the prop... HOW about Repitching or is that a "Bridge Too Far" or a new prop would be the way to go. As for Pages Creek have already contacted them based upon the endorsements read here. Hell of a web site.

Comment

Working...
                X