Stringers in a 1977 21' Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringers in a 1977 21' Mako

I know of at least 3, one in the center of hull and two on either side. I also noticed what I thought were 2 more on the outer sides of the two side stringers. My question is are these stringers and if they are how do they drain into the bilge? I noticed water on either side and they have no holes leading to the bilge for it to drain. Should I drill some in them and fill the drilled part with epoxy to protect the wood?
    Troy[br]Pensacola, FL[br]1977 21\' Mako Deep V[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20954

All of the stringers should have come from the factory w/drain holes drilled in them just forward of the transom. You should be able to see them from your bilge access. Check to see if something is clogging them? If for some strange reason there arn't any holes then you should drill and seal. (you may want to shop vac h20 out first)

Comment

There are 5 stringers. The 2 outter stringers on each side don't have limber holes drilled in them (at least not on my boat or Jason Thornhill's Mako 21). Use a hole saw and get a nice clean hole cut in the stringers with the bottom edge close to the hull as possible so water can freely traverse the stringer. Seal the wood (hopefully its solid and dry) with epoxy.

Heres a pix of my stringers after rebuilding the bad areas and adding some extras...

Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Yeah, my two outer ones do not have limber holes in them either. I will definately cut some and seal them to make sure it drains properly. I also noticed the two inner ones hold water just below where the holes are cut. Should I extend the holes in these to the hull as well and re-seal? They don't hold a lot, less than an inch but I don't like them holding any.
        Troy[br]Pensacola, FL[br]1977 21\' Mako Deep V[br]http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20954

Comment

I would modify them to drain.[]

Comment

Working...
          X