Michigan Dave ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Dave ..

You've got mail... let me know what you think!
    [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

So it was you!! I could not tell who it was., anyway I wrote you a chapter on electronic ign. conversions ect. if I was on target lets bring it to the forum so others can benifit. If I was all wrong lets not tell anyone[:I][:I]. dave.
    [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Well close, I decided to chuck the points and go with an electronic points replacement "upgrade". Just replaced the points with a magnetic switch, so no big deal.

The distributor is an old Mallory YL flat head with mechanical advance only. The electronic pack mounted in a different position in the distributor from the original points. I'm guessing around 5 degrees retarded. So, I've been advancing the timing to try and get it back to what feels like the performance I expect.

I'm at about 17 BTDC and it is very close, still a little stumble right off idle at full throttle. However, I didn't want to get too much advance in there since I knew I wouldn't be able to hear any pinging. I'll probably go as much as 20 before taking any next steps involving math and degree wheels [:u]. It's definitely not to the point of being difficult to re-start (unless I let it sit to long, then we get into the whole other story of the dripping carb).

Thought I'd check to see if you'd gone through this and had a magic number for me.

Didn't mean to leave the rest of you guys out of the fun, but its just an old ski boat that seems to need a lot of TLC these days.

Thanks!

Ben
      [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

If I were going to replace a dist. in a motor now. hand's down it would be a Mallory Unlite unit.

http://go.mrgasket.com/ProductsListB...n=12&BrandID=0

ylu series unilite electronic dist.

Mallory's YLU Series Distributor replaces original equipment marine distributors with a new modern design that combines the triggering device and amplifier into a single unit that sits inside the distributor housing. For use with a 12-volt negative ground system and features a Unilite module with a simple 3-wire hookup. Use the Mallory Promaster Coil for peak performance.

Part Number: 9-26504

Comment

I have indeed ran into such a situation. you

should get your best performance around 30degrees of

total timing.(asuming its a small block ford or chevy.

Marine distributors only have a mechanical advance.

Check to make sure the flyweights in the distributer

are free to pivot. Your initial timing should be

around 17 degrees or so. you should have your full 30

degrees or so at about 2500 rpms. You really need a

adjustable timing light to check this, you can measure

around the ballanceer and do the math to get your 30

degrees and make a mark. Now if you dont want to do

all that effort adjust the timing forward till you get

it to run good, get some heat in the motor and shut it

off. if it starts hard like its laboring then you have

the timing too far. Its rare to here spark knock in a

marine engine because of the cooler operating temps.

Now one other thing Electonic iginiton needs to run

off of a full 12 volts. that meens you need to get rid

of the dropping resistor most point systems use.

during cranking point systems use full 12 volts, after

the engine starts it drops to 6-8 volts. because of

the dropping resistor. On GM marine engines the

dropping resistor is actually the tan wire that feeds

the coil(+) side. it is about 3 feet of high

resistance wire
          [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Something new to report on the Mustang's points replacement...

We worked the boat hard for several hours this weekend and as the engine picked up a lot of heat it would start to miss-fire. After it cooled a little - running slow 1500 or so RPM - it would clear up and run smooth again. We use the Mustang a lot and until this event it has been running very good.

So, I'm thinking this is a symptom of just a little too much timing advance. I'm going to back off a few degrees and see what happens. It may be hard to replicate, but we'll see.

Comment

YOur coil might be showing its age. remember a 12 volt coil needs a external resister or resister wire unless its the "internal resistance type" the next time your engine misses touch the coil to see how hot it is getting. dave.

Comment

That's a good thought. The coil is a farily new, but that does sound like a good place to check. Farily new is relative, maybe 5 to 8 years.

Ballast resistor is in place.

Comment

Working...
                X