Question for 232 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for 232 owners

I'm just beginning to use my "new to me" 1995 Mako 232. It has a 2000 Yami 225 mounted on a bracket. This is my first, bracket mounted motor, so I'm not sure how this set-up should perform. The boat rides great, however, when I come off of plane I sometimes get back wash on the motor. It never quite goes over the motor but it has caused me to get water on the interior of the motor cover. It did not flood the engine, however, did cause a lot of sputtering until I got back to the dock. Is this just a characteristic of a bracket or do I have other problems? The boat seems to float level while at rest. Any body have any ideas?
    1995 Mako 232, 1988 MAKO 171, New Bern, North Carolina

It's a common thing for the water to wash up the backside of the motor. It is not common for water to get inside of the cowl.

Just an FYI.

When backing a bracketed boat. Trim the motor up a little to make the prop wash go under the boat.

Comment

Warts correct..water should not entrude the cowling..maybe a little build up after a while..i use corrosion-x and wash it with soapy water every now and then..A doel-fin will all but stop that backwash over cowling as well as a smaller prop.come off plane slower and it really helps..A sharp turn coming off plane in either direction knocks the plume down..but if engine is drowning thats problem..[:0]also make sure your trimmed all the way down engine wise..Ive got the same boat..
      1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

Capt. Andy, What is a doel-fin? I hate to change the prop. It seems well mated for the boat and motor. I'm getting about 5700 RPM's at WOT. After reading other posts on the subject (prop sizing) that seams pretty optimal.

Comment

Go to any marine store and ask for doel-fin its an easy yo install aftermarket product that is designed to help porposing and seems to make boats plane faster.it works.one of the effects is it knocks down that plume of water as well.The 232-b is VERY trim sensitive running and i actually cut off a few inches on either side to reduce the effect and only kept it because it helps porposing at high speed and that "Plume"Thats Annie 11 engine now and the doel-fin didnt make it to maine!!But the engine did and it runs great!!(WHEW!!!) Always a question selling an engine to a friend from classic mako.com..But this worked out well .as long as it ran today! I put a new one on my suzuki for the same reason.See the difference in size..I cut it down for a little less surface area(Warts Advice) And it worked!!If you notice the stingray model ,avaiable at west or most places.is a one piece unit and the other are two seperate fins..the one piece with the wraparound is ,in my opinion,what helps knock that plume of water "down"

1997 232B 2017 suzuki 250 \"ROCK BOTTOM\"[br] [br]

Comment

quote:

Go to any marine store and ask for doel-fin

Check WalMart. About $25 or $30 there.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.

Charles

Comment

Guys.. I don't know much about bracket mounted motors but I would tend to agree with everyone else.. Since we're on the subject, I have a similar question. I have a 2001 232 limited edition (black hull) with twin Merc 150 Optimax's. It's a beauty and now I can't stop trying to make it the baddest boat on my lake. I want more performance. I've heard that brackets are worth the $$ for performance enhancement across the board. Any comments? How much offset is safe for the transom with my set-up? I also don't want to have to extend the controls cables, etc. Any thoughts on twin 10" offset jack plates? I even thought about repowering with more hp. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                X