Truck Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Help

Need Some advice, I have a 1978 25 mako cc, going to buy me a new truck in the next week or so, I want A GMC would a 1500 work fine or do I need a 2500, Do mainly local towing less than 8 miles to the boat ramp, But toying with the idea of taking my boat to Florida next summer for a fishing vacation..
    Carolinafishin[br]1978 Mako 25 CC[br]twin 225 rudes[br]Carolinabeach, NC[br]

Well.... []

Most of y'all know what I think about this...

I woudn't trade my 2500HD Diesel back for gas - ever.

1998 Z71 - Good motor (5.7L), bad brakes.

2001 1500HD (same as the light duty 2500) - Bad motor (6L no power and liked to overheat), good brakes though.

2003 2500HD Diesel - good, good, good
    [br]***[br]\'82 Ski Nautique - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'80 236IB - Lake Martin, AL[br]\'03 Pursuit 2670 - Destin, FL

Comment

I had a 1999 Z71 with full towing package. Loved the Z71 and it pulled my '76 25' CC just fine to the dock and home. On the highway it was definitely at it's limits and the transmission was working overtime at 55 mph. I wouldn't pull the boat anywhere that you needed over 30 mph without brakes on the trailer.

I now have the 2500HD Duramax Deisel with Allison transmission. WOW what a difference on the highway. Set the cruise at 70 mph and get to where you're going. If you get the 2500HD, make sure you get the Allison transmission. Hands down the workhorse of the truck. IMO, I wouldn't spend the extra money for the 2500 without the Allison transmission.

The Z71 was a better every day truck and a smoother ride. But the Duramax is definitely a towing machine. Drive both and let us know what you think. Both are great trucks.
      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

I drive them all and will recommend the Duramax diesel as its the best package going in the GM products now. Keep in mind that the two wheel drive vehicles, in the 1500, 2005 has only the 3.25 rear axle ration which will give you a fit, but is pretty good when you are not towing. The z-71 packages, in the 2005 has the 3.42 rearend in the 1500 series and seems to work pretty good for all around duty. The gas 2500 truck normally has the 6.0 engine and will pass everyting but the gas station.. You can figure around 12 even without towing, under normal conditions.

If you do not want new, then look around at the older body styles that have the 350 4x4 and is a good compromise, and will save you a lot of money.

If you go with the extended cab, 2005, then look for the steel block engine, which is avaliable in the trucks. Also, the new year changover, Jan, this year, most ones has the sliding window and you loose out on the rear window defroster.

Comment

Robert,

I have a '97 Mako 191. The book says 1900 lbs. dry weight, sitting on a tandem axel galvanized steel trailer. I am guessing going down the road weight at around 2500-2800 lbs. I pull this with a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 PU. No problems stopping or pulling up a ramp.

Hope this helps.
          Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

Love my recently purchased Crew Cab 2500HD w/Duramax. [][8D][]
            -Bizz[br]1985 20C[br]Charlotte, NC

Comment

You want a D-max, drive on for a day, do the 24 hr test drive, it will be sold. The Silverado is my first love, then its the Mako

04 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel

Silver

Banks Exhaust

AFE stage 2 Intake

Edge Juice w/ Attitude

Bully Dog tranny kit

285-70-16 tires BFG all terrains

Same fuel milage as any truck 13.6 with it on high boost..........

....... But my engine will do 1 million miles and I can pull your house down while still getting that milage

Plus Uncle Sam bought me mine

and my JD 8520, 5525 and gator
              John S.[br]Lutz, FL aka Tampa[br]Currently transplanted to Tallahassee

Comment

Larry

Just food for thought your 191 with a Trailer/Engine and Fuel is probably closer to 3200 lbs.

I have towed that with a Wrangler and as long as I dont go to far and keep the speed down I am OK. For the Long Trips I use my wifes Grand Cherokee 4.7 . You barely know the boat is attached
                A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. [br]Northport Occupied NY[br]1989 191 w/120 Evinrude

Comment

Sean,

You might be correct. I will fill her up and run her across some scales to get an accurate weight.
                  Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

If you want a real truck, get a Powerstroke. My '02 has 87,000 miles, no problems at all, and I can pull my Mako 260 (around 10,000#'s curb weight) at 70 with no problem at all.
                    1987 Mako 254, 2013 Evinrude ETEC 175\'s (sold to my buddy)[br]1988 Mako 20, 2008 Yamaha 200HPDI (sold)[br]1984 Mako 17, 2005 Suzuki 115 (sold)[br]1981 Mako 21 (sold)[br]1978 Mako 17 (sold)[br]1986 Mako 260 (sold)[br]1997 Mako 232 (sold)[br]Tampa, Florida

Comment

I'd go with the 2500. you will probably be better in the long run. I dont know if the 1500 would be stout enough for a 25' cc.
                      Bradenton, FL[br]1970 Mako 220[br][br]

Comment

1500 will be plenty. Just make sure you have the towing package. This adds the transmission cooler, extra stiffness to the rear suspension, towbar, and the high gear limit sytem. The 2500HD would be optimal, but are you going to be towing on a daily basis? Otherwise, I'd opt for the slightly better fuel economy of the 1500.

-Pat.
                        18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

Pat's probably right, but if I were going to tow a 25 on the highway once a year, I'd go with the Duramax. My Z71 has 190k miles on it, still gets 17 mpg when not towing and pulls my 20 great.
                          1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                          1985 Mako 20c - sold
                          Fort Walton Beach, FL
                          http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

1995 Tahoe 2 door Z-71. Tow package, 3.73 gears, duals, 201,000 miles and runs like new.......yanks my 21B around no problem. Draw back......4L60E tranny, must tow in 3 NOT OD! Have to keep it around 65 on the highway. 17-18 in town, 14-15 towing on highway.

My next truck will be either the 2500 duramax/allison or F250 Diesel. Go with the Diesil tranny match up and don't worry about it ever again !

Comment

Hey I read that GM is selling cars and trucks at employee prices if sold by July 5
                              A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. [br]Northport Occupied NY[br]1989 191 w/120 Evinrude

Comment

Working...
                              X