Mako 261__trailer set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mako 261__trailer set-up

Need some help!! (Please!) We ruined a custom built aluminum trailer this past Sat. trying to load the Mako 261 on it. GVWR of Trailer is 9700 lbs, and it has a payload cap. of 8000 lbs. and can supposedly handle a 28 footer. Two questions: 1)We figure the most that boat weighs, full of fuel, ought to be less than to 7000 lbs. Does this sound reasonable? (Its set-up like most, twin Johnson 200's, T-top, Console, etc. Had no gear and no people on it when we loaded it, or anything extra). In retrospect, the axles did seem to be too far to the rear but we figured we would adjust them and get the tounge wt. right. So, 2.)Does anybody have an idea where the center of gravity on a 1992 Mako 261 ought to be, or can anyone share a pic or some measurements to get us close on where the wheels should be relative to the boat position?

When we got it loaded we obviously had way,way, too much tongue weight and bent the trailer in the resulting long span between tandems and tounge. Any thoughts to prevent us hammerheads from ruining the next one?

Also, we will weigh the boat this weekend so manufacturer will not think we tried to put a yacht on it. They have bent over backwards to please us and have the trailer back at their shop.

Trailer was the new style aluminum tubing (not I-beam) which is supposed to be very stong. We did move the winch post 4 ft rearward before loading the boat. If we had not, I suppose It would still be sitting on the ramp looking like a banana.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

BT

[email protected]

Sounds like a fun day at the ramp. You might want to talk with the trailer manufactuer about what the trailer set-up should have been. Many of them can set up a trailer without the boat (if you tell them what boat) and at least be in the ballpark..
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I've got a few pics of ours on the trailer, making my Yukon look like a VW bug.

On my machine at home though...hang on!

Those axles must be way far back to bend the tongue...I cant imagine that.
      1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

I agree with Ringleader, but your going to need all the weights at toungh and what's on the axles. Then you need someone that is good at math to do the figuring on how far the axles need to be moved.

My buddy Bobby Shows had to do this to his alum I-beam trailer. he ended up moving the axles 22in foward if memory serves me right.

Comment

Working...
        X