Should I make this trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I make this trade?

One of my friends has a 1984 224 with a 97 fuel injected 225 Mariner on it. It also comes with a 01 tandem aluminum trailer. He wants my 17 to keep at his condo in the keys. The only reason that Im a little hesitant is that the boat needs Gary love and I know that I will go way over board. The boat is in nice condition structurally but is very basic meaning no electronics or the other goodies. What do you think? Gary

Personally, I think it's a no-brainer.
    ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

If it needs "Gary love" , how can you deny it.

That's why I don't look at boats much. It seems the more they need work , the more I want them. []

Annie II hasn't even been in the water yet and I have been looking at Mako 230WA's. If I could find one with a full transom and a bracket......

Now see what you've done.[:u]
      Bob Carpenter [br] Maine[br]1969 Boston Whaler 13\' (Annie3 1/2) [br]Built Annie2 and Annie3 which can be seen in The Project pages[br]

Comment

The 224 is a very versatile hull. It may be the best of both worlds.
        Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Thats what Im thinking. I can run it to the keys and have plenty of fuel. As much as I love my 17, I am restricted to back water and short runs. I can see me dumping lots of money into another boat. One reason that im a little hesitant is that the Shamrock is in the prosses of a complete refit that will cost me approx 5 grand not including a new trailer. In the same respect, Shamrocks bring very good money on the used market.

Comment

Dump the shammy and spread the gary love!

The only thing that would look better than your 17 is the same in a 22.
            1990 261 T/2001 200 HPDIs[br]Basking Ridge/Mantoloking NJ[br]

Comment

If you can run the 22 like it is then your not boat poor while the Shammy is getting a face lift. Then sell the Shammy for money to fix the 22.[] Sound's easy right? HeHe Lot's of work ahead.

I think the 22 is going to be much more versitle. For island hopping and parking up on the beach, unlike the inboard Shammy.

Comment

Can you take the same pictures from the 224? That's really the only thing that matters...... [] if you can, I'm definitely voting for the 224 with the extra fuel, extra time on the water, ability to venture new territory = more pictures. I'm thinkin you may need to upgrade the memory size on the digital camera, just as a precaution... [][88][88]
                Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Whats the differance between a 224 and a 224 B or a B in any length?

Comment

No such thing as a 224B. All Mako 224's are 22'7". Many of the boats in the 1980's that had the B were modifications of a previous model. For instance, they had the Mako 21 from the late 1970's until 1983 it was a 21'3" hull. In 1984, they added the aft corner storage hatches (not the fishboxes that I hate) which added about 4" to the boat. They called it the Mako 21B. The Mako 20 went through 3 different modifications. The Mako 20, Mako 20B, and Mako 20C. It wasn't until the 1990's that the B actually meant that there was a full transom and a bracket.
                    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I am looking at it as strictly a dollars and cents deal, you have had limited success at selling your 17, I think the 224 has more open market worth. But, if your going to be a 2 boat man you might want to keep the 17 as it is a skinny water boat that I here goes real well. I know your a savvy skipper but I would still like to watch the first time you back that inboard up in a busy channel. Hehe

I loose my cool when trying to manuver those IB's ,"turn and thrust"

has a whole new meaning. [88]
                      [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

I'm sure you've already checked the motor, so I'll take that out of the equation. If you're even CONSIDERING the trade, I don't think you'll regret it. If I had half the skill (Gary love) that it takes to make my 17 sellable, I would, just cuz I need the cash. No offense, but it doesn't seem like you're strapped too thin... you just want a boat that is more capable. I say do it. [V]
                        \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

I often think to myself... There just isn't enough Gary love in the world, and if we all tried just a little bit harder, we could all spread more Gary love.

Don't let the world down, Gary. Spread the love!!!
                          1975 23\' Tampa,FL

Comment

If I spread too much G-Love I wont be able to call this boat Anger Management II.[:x)] Im going down to Marathon tomorrow night to look at the boat and hopefully get some fishing in if the weather gets better.

Comment

G-Love is fine.... but don't spread the Special Sauce over the boat. [88]
                              \'72 Mako 17, Suzuki 140 FOR SALE[br]\'74 Mako 19B Project FOR SALE[br]Seabird 21 Project FOR SALE[br]San Juan 28 sailboat [br]Wake, VA[br][IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X