Just got my E-Tec!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my E-Tec!

Hello everyone, I've been mostly lurking and reading up during the buildup of my Mako 20. I'm finally seeing the fruits of my labor and I just wanted to drop you all a line to say thanks for all the help I've gotten just from reading and searching the forum. Today, my local Evinrude distributor (who also distributes to all of central and south America), let me borrow one of his brand new test engines he got from the factory to see how they perform on my Mako 20. Its a 90 H.P. Saltwater E-TEC with 20" shaft, blue in color. If it works well with the boat, I get to buy it at a significat discount and my end of the bargain is that I spread the word. [] Tomorrow I'm going to mount it on the hull and I'll be sure to post some pics. This engine is going to e allot lighter and more fuel efficient than the tired 1985 155 H.P. it was carrying before. This weekend if I can take it out, I'll make sure to post them with my impressions of the motor. I'm guessing the boat won't be a rocket with 90 H.P. but I'm not looking to haul butt anyway. We'll see. Any suggestions on anything i should look out for when intalling this motor? I've been told I'm going to have new instruments because my old one's (teleflex) are compatible, is this true?

Frank

Is the 20" shaft the same as the 155hp you are replacing? The 90HP will be a little small for that boat, but I bet it'll run ok Just make sure you make a deal with the dealer to test props at now extra charge. That's one thing I have learned the hard way. Keep us informed. []
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

The shaft on both the 90 E-TEC and the 155 Johnson measure out to be the same. I'm going to be going out to test it with him this weekend (if work permits), and he ringing out some props and a service tech to do what ever calibration needs to be done. I was thinking about lowering the transom (.5-1 inches maybe) a lttle bit since this motor was quite a bit less than the johnson and it will probably sit higher in the water. Is this a good idea?

Frank

Comment

I wouldn't lower the motor due to weight difference. The general rule of thumb is the cavitation plate should be +/-1" within the depth of the transom. If the 155hp was 20", then the mounting height should be the same. You may be able to tweak it a bit more with the lower HP, but not due to the weight.
        Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Have you seen these new guages?

http://thehulltruth.com/forums/threa...=62493&start=1

Comment

Definitely let us know what kind of numbers you get with the 90. The weight difference will not change how much motor is sticking out under the boat - just how low it sits in the water.
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Def, do not lower that transom, those 20's need all the freeboard they can muster. That 90 will be fine on the 20 as she is a little more of a flatbottom hull. your fuel numbers should be awsome.
              [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Wart. Saw those new Lowrance guages over on THT the other day and have been searching and searching for them. Any ideas? I have changed my tune on a Lowrance GPS/FF combo for the 17' to accomidate NMEA 2000 (vs NMEA 0183) communication. Gonna go with the LMS 332 GPS/FF along wth 2 of those guages and the E-tec. [] Now that's networking... []

Comment

All I know is what was posted there, but it sound's like those are the final proto type. I say this because of what the guy said about the tech and no instruction's. I'd send the guy that posted a direct email and ask him.

Comment

BE CAREFUL OF FACTORY DEALS ON ANY BRAND OF MOTOR. GUIDES AND PRO-STAFF USUALLY GET MOTORS AT 25% BACK OF DEALER BUT ONLY 1 YEAR WARRANTY.
                    OVER BUDGET[br]PEARLAND TX

Comment

I had a 19 ft Mako powered by a 85hp E-rude. The engine pushed the boat fine but there were times I wished I had the 115hp, specially when trying to claw over a steep wake. I think the 90 E-tech will push you along o.k. on the 20 footer, but I think it will come up short on power when you need it. I too would be interested in your test run.

By the way you name (zonian1903) and panama location caught my eye. Are you from the Canal Zone? I was bred and born in the Canal Zone and graduated from Cristobal High in 1962.

Comment

Thats correct, born and bred Pacific sider. I got the motor mounted on the boat yesterday, now I'm waiting for the dealers tech to come over and do what ever needs to be done with the computer before it can be started. I'm going to take it out this weekend, so when I come back I'll be sure to post some numbers. Jmako, you been down to Panama lately?

Here are some pcs of the Mako and the Panga I took last night.

http://www.envirge.com/boat_pic/

Frank

Comment

Working...
                        X