johnson fuel /oil mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnson fuel /oil mixture

this is probably going to be a dumb question but this is my first big a$$ johnson OB (1990 200hp), and i kinda don't want to blow it up. When I picked it up the former owner told me 50 to 1 ratio of gas to oil. That means 50 gallons of gas to 1 gallon of oil, correct? And this is just all just put in to gas tank together to mix, yes?

This boat is a big leap up from my last boat and i dont want to screw anything up.

THanks for the help

Nate
    Bradenton, FL[br]1970 Mako 220[br][br]

Correct. 50 to 1 is the ratio...

1 pint of oil to 6 gal of gas... 1 quart to 12 gal's of gas... 1 gal of oil to 48 gal's of gas (essentially 50 gals)... You get the idea. []

I'm guessing that you are pre-mixing?
    Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

yes sir

the VRO was disconnected, and the gas and oil are just mixed together now.

and is it safe to just to funnel in a gallon of oil right into the gas tank after a fill up of 50 gallons at the pump? or should you fill it up a bit with gas then add oil and repeat that process?

With my last boat i just dumped in the oil after I was done at the gas pump. Don't know if it is diferent with bigger boats with bigger gas tanks and engines. And looking at all those conversions, I think need to brush up on my math skills as well[:x)]

Comment

I just un hooked my oil infection, and I have been dumping oil in and the putting the gas my mechanic who did the work said that the oil mixes real easy with the gas.
        Time Flies 79 25\' mako Marathon Florida

Comment

On premixing, I've alway's liked to add the oil 1st.

Comment

just make sure you don't add the oil and under estimate the amount of gas that the tank will take...just did that yesterday with a firend's boat. he said that the boat could use a quart or two of oil with the gas...so we assumed that it would take at least 12 gallons...nope.

7.8 gallons of gas to one quart of oil...a bit rich in oil.
            1985 21B[br]Southern New Jersey

Comment

As Wart said, I would add the oil first so that the gas going down and into the tank will wash and mix with any oil that is left still in the gas fill tube (some gas fills need to go about 5 feet before they get to the tank). That way you don't have any oil left in the fill tube which if you did would mean that you haven't gotten the correct mixture.

Mike
              1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Definitely add the oil first so that the gas and oil mix real well. A couple of trips around the block doesn't hurt either. [] I like adding mine about 10 gallons at a time.
                1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
                1985 Mako 20c - sold
                Fort Walton Beach, FL
                https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

I trailer my boat so after I fill the tank I add the oil. I use a mixing bottle to get the proper ratio. The oil mixes well due to the sloshing. The bottle has several ratios on it so I can mex for other equipment.

Comment

quote:

I like adding mine about 10 gallons at a time.

That's the way I do it on my Scout w/ C-90 Yamaha, but I do it in 6gal increments. It only holds 24gal's.

By doing it that way I can use the gas nozzle to get all the oil mixed that dribbles on the inside of the fuel fill neck.

Comment

cool beans.

i thought i was on the right track, but with everyone chiming in with their input it makes me feel a lot better.

thanks a bunch

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by knotty by nature

cool beans.

i thought i was on the right track, but with everyone chiming in with their input it makes me feel a lot better.

thanks a bunch

Can you post some full-size pics of your rig--she looks great!
                        ROGUE I[br]1978 235 CC[br]Newburyport, MA[br]ROGUE II[br]1987 17\' Montauk[br]Camden, ME[br]

Comment

consider it done. I will revive the post your pics of your rig thread. you can find it there

Comment

Working...
                          X