HID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID

Hi all, this website forum has really taken off and is a wealth of info. thanks Ringleader for making this all happen. Antway I wanted to know if there is a hull id number associated with early 70's Makos. Ipicked up an old 22 and am not sure what the year or number is. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Mike
    Mike[br]Milford Ct.[br]

I have a 1973 22 CC and there is a hull ID # near the top of the starboard side of the transom (about 3 inches down from the top) that is pressed right into the fiberglass of the transom. It has about 3/8 inch letters/numbers and is about 2 inches long (and I am going from memory here as the boat is under the cover now and I haven't looked at that area since last Oct). It's not easly to read but if you look in the right light, you can read the letters and numbers. I believe that if you go on the Mako site (??) they have what all the numbers mean - i.e. what year the boat was built, the hull sequence number etc. (or maybe it was on this site - I cannot remember ??). I also have the USCG Aluminum plate that is attached just to the right of the helm station on the console and if I remember correctly, it also had the HIN numbers on it along with the max weight that the boat sould carry. Due to the salt air on the plate, however, the complete # is not now readable. Hope this helps -

Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Classic thanks I also have a 73 mako20 with same stampings. However the boat I am talking is supposed to be a 72 22 and it doesn't have the stamping on the transom. Maybe it was started in 73? maybe the tramsom was redone at some point? Just dont know.I do have the original owmers manual whish has 597 as the only number.

Thanks for the reply

Mike
      Mike[br]Milford Ct.[br]

Comment

mako22 - sounds like your numbers were glassed over at some point. Usually they put the numbers in other permanement places but I'm not sure where they would be.
        1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
        1985 Mako 20c - sold
        Fort Walton Beach, FL
        https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...og-bottom-time

Comment

On my '73 I have a plastic pate that was poprivited on the boat. It was not on the transom. The plate had curled and was not afixed to the boat when I got it. The old owner handed it to me in a envalope.

Comment

Guys a word of advice... Make darned sure that you have some kind of HIN (stamped, engraved, or etc) visable on the OUTSIDE of your hull. Any hull that doesn't have this is considered contraband and is subject to seizure byt whatever agency that is stopping or checking the vessel. This isn't BS as it happened to my neighbor after he got done restoring his boat. Even though he had ownership papers, they were considered worthless and he spent alot of time and money for nothing. He said the boat almost ended up in public auction!

That being said. If you don't know what your HIN is... I recommend back tracing the hull's state registration numbers through whatever agency to find the HIN out. It should be part of all registrations. Or, if you have it, just look on the registration certificate and get the numbers and stamp them into an aluminum plate and screw it to the transom. Marine Connecetion has some replacement registration plates for Mako, but you could also just make your own out of 1/16 or thinner aluminum and stamp the numbers in.

Heres a good source for HIN translation:

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

http://www.boatsafe.com/links/mic_codes.htm
            Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Ringleader the link you supplyed might hold the answer here . It states that hulls manufactured after nov 72 must have HIN. Perhaps hull I am referring to was manufactured pre Nov and rule was not in place. Just a thought . But from your reply pre Nov 72 boats could be contraband. I hope not.

Tahks for help and thanks in advance for any further replies on this subject

Mike
              Mike[br]Milford Ct.[br]

Comment

I have a 1975 19b, I also had no hull id plates or numbers. When I contacted Mako, they told me that it was a plate on the transom. For security they also hid two additional ones. These were usually in the anchor locker or any other type stowage at the bow. The other known location was in the area of the gas tank or even the bilge.

Unfortunately none of these areas worked for me but that is where Mako told me to look. Good luck!

Comment

I have one in the anchor locker too. You might want to look into the pre 1972 rules and regs. maybe contact the Coast Guard or state registration agency and find out the skinny.
                  Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

Working...
                  X