1984 Mako 254 fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 Mako 254 fuel Tank

Well I have been reading Tarponmandan's fuel tank issues. I am in a similar situation. However I know my tank is corroded and needs to be replaced. I have pulled the deck, all the fittings, the console, etc. However I am having problems getting the tank out of the whole. I have disconnected the tank flanges from the hull. I think the tank must be glued in place with the foam after 20 years. I have used a come along to pull it but it has not budged. I am thinking that the foam acts as a super adhesive and might have to be cut out or at least cut away from the tank before it pops out. I am a DIY kind of guy. After I get the tank pulled and measured I am going to contact Marine Liquidators in Ft Pierce for a replacement tank. Any ideas have y'all ever pulled a tank before and any advice is appreciated. After I get the tank pulled come on down to Louisiana and we will go tuna fishing.
    Ray Burger[br]Cajun Custom Rods[br]1984 Mako 254[br]Denham Springs

Hey Ray-

My friend has an 83 254. Fuel tank removal on that boat is tough but possible.

First you need to dig out all of the foam surrounding the tank. The best method is to cut as much as possible with a small handsaw or even a hacksaw blade with duct tape for a grip. Next, start digging out the foam with your hands.

Once all the foam is removed, try breaking the foams grip under the tank by placing a pry bar between teh tank and tne stringer and gently prying it. Do this on all 4 sides. After that, use a come along, block and tackle, forklift or whatever is handy to lift the tank out of the hull.

No need to go to Marine Connection for a new tank. I am sure one of the aluminum fabrication shops is Louisiana is Coast Guard certified to make tanks.

Good luck.

Ed

Comment

Problem with Marine Connection is that they don't even know what they have in the warehouse. There is a good chance that the tank is there somewhere, but you'll have to go down there and find it yourself as they won't look for you.

Find someone local. I know of a guy in ocean Springs, Miss who makes tanks. But I'm not sure if he is USCG certified.
      Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

As Ed Mancini sayed, the foam needs to be cut. You guessed it. That foam is a glue. The best saw you can use is the blade off a small bow saw.IE

Tree trimming saw blade. Wrap one end with cardboard and duct tape to protect your hand. The bow saw has VERY agressive teeth and will cut much faster than any hacksaw blade.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Guess I could forgo the Sportsman Show in the Superdome this weekend and finish pulling my tank (Nah I don't think so) By the way Ringleader. My boat is in Slidell now. French Branch Subdivision. Who in Ocean Springs makes tanks. Thanks for all the info.

Ray

Comment

I'm in Eden Isles. I've talked to your son, Eddie, a few times about your boat.

James Caldwell - Caldwell Custom Fabrication, Is who I use for all of my work. He does just about everything. I'm going to get him to build my new platform bracket and leaning post. If I need it a new fuel tank too. He is a fantastic aluminum welder. I'll dig up his number tonight.

Comment

I used a contraption I bought at home depot that worked like a champ. It is a round 3/4 inch grinder on a 1 ft rod that fits in a drill. I then bought a 1 ft extension and had 2 ft of rod with a grinding end. Turn on the drill and grind the foam off the sides all the way around and then use a come along and it will come up. It will not come up if the sides are not done as I tried and pulled the whole top of the tank off with a come along as well as braking a 4x4 across the gunnells. I will try and snap a pic this afternoon of this thing, I bought it at Home Depot and it was the difference in setting fire to the boat to get the tank out.

Flieman

Comment

I cannot figure out how to post a pic of the contraption I made for the removal of the tank. If somebody could help me I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Flieman

Comment

Flieman, Can you email me the picture at [email protected]. Thank for your help. It does make a lot of sense what you say.

Ray

Comment

John, email me the pix. I'll put it up for everyone to see.

Comment

Eddie,

I cannot find your correct email address. I emailed it to the site, did you recieve it?

Thanks

Jon

Comment

These are from the Flieman files...

Comment

Well I got the new Flieman recommended. It does look like it would work thanks for all the advise. The tank is coming out Sat. or I will be renaming the boat Nitro.

Comment

Just take your time and grind the back and sides away and then ease up with the comealong and it will come loose. I am sure that you emptied the tank but if not make sure you do as that is serious weight as well. Once I got the foam off the sides it came loose relativly easy.

Flieman

Comment

Ray, the guy I use for Aluminum fabrication is James Caldwell - Caldwell Custom Fabrication in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. His numbers are:

home: 228-396-1903

cell: 228-861-3427 (not sure if the cell is still good)

I have a fuel tank from my father-in-laws boat for him to remake. So I'll be talking to him heopefully today.

Comment

Working...
                              X