Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear those who INSIST on powerloading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear those who INSIST on powerloading...

You do realize you're undermining the end of the ramp and eventually will ruin it for everyone right?

Thanks.

(Sorry guys, just venting after seeing a 23 W/A powerloading on my way home this afternoon from being out and about. And if you have to powerload at the ramp in question, well, you're terrible.)
    1975 Mako 26 Inboard[br]1976 Mako 23 Inboard[br]1984 Rhodes 19[br]Padanaram, MA

At the risk of embarrassing myself, what does powerloading mean?
    \'75 Mako 15 - \'88 60HP Johnson (sold)[br]\'75 Mako 20 - 150 Optimax[br]savannah, ga

Comment

\'75 Mako 15 - \'88 60HP Johnson (sold)[br]\'75 Mako 20 - 150 Optimax[br]savannah, ga

Comment

Comment

Comment

powerloading is when you insist on not putting the trailer deep enough to just drive on then winch the last few feet but bump the nose to the trailer then use as much throttle as needed to load the boat completely on the trailer (in some cases putting your lower unit at risk depending on how you sit on the trailer)

doing so blows out the end of the ramp of sand/silt/rocks and eventually undermines the end of the ramp. so if you happen to drop the trailer off the end of the ramp, you're potentially screwed and stuck, and eventually it causes the end of the ramp to collapse.

this case this evening if he'd missed the post he would have killed his buddy standing in the water next to the trailer. it was definitely a head shaker.

Comment

powerloading is when you insist on not putting the trailer deep enough to just drive on then winch the last few feet but bump the nose to the trailer then use as much throttle as needed to load the boat completely on the trailer (in some cases putting your lower unit at risk depending on how you sit on the trailer)

doing so blows out the end of the ramp of sand/silt/rocks and eventually undermines the end of the ramp. so if you happen to drop the trailer off the end of the ramp, you're potentially screwed and stuck, and eventually it causes the end of the ramp to collapse.

this case this evening if he'd missed the post he would have killed his buddy standing in the water next to the trailer. it was definitely a head shaker.

Comment

powerloading is where you pull on the trailer, your about 2-3 feet away from the brace, and you use your engines to power you up to your stand to hooke the U bolt... Kinda like I do[B)]
                Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

powerloading is where you pull on the trailer, your about 2-3 feet away from the brace, and you use your engines to power you up to your stand to hooke the U bolt... Kinda like I do[B)]
                  Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian. -Henry Ford[br]1988 Mako 261 \"Stroken\" Project Thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26203[br]1992 Mako221B project thread: http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48747[br]1992 Mako 261B \"Reel Impressive\" project thread: http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56286[br]

Comment

If you're not powerloading on the ramps around here you are in the way. At the ramp near my house people get upset if someone ties up their boat to get their truck. You're expected to drop someone off at the end of the dock to retreive the truck while you back away and make room for others to do the same. When your trailer backs down the ramp you need to get on it quick and pull out so someone else who's waiting in line can do the same.
                    [br]1993 MAKO 221B SOLD / 250 YAMAHA OX66[br]1977 MAKO 25 CC PREVIOUS / TWIN 200 RUDE\'S[br]FLORIDANA BEACH, FL[br]

Comment

If you're not powerloading on the ramps around here you are in the way. At the ramp near my house people get upset if someone ties up their boat to get their truck. You're expected to drop someone off at the end of the dock to retreive the truck while you back away and make room for others to do the same. When your trailer backs down the ramp you need to get on it quick and pull out so someone else who's waiting in line can do the same.
                      [br]1993 MAKO 221B SOLD / 250 YAMAHA OX66[br]1977 MAKO 25 CC PREVIOUS / TWIN 200 RUDE\'S[br]FLORIDANA BEACH, FL[br]

Comment

Comment

Powerloading is usually the way we do it....its fast and I dont see how it is dangerous for an experienced boater. The ramp I usually use is VERY deep......the natural current rips around there, the bottom is hard...no way to blow out the ramp.

On the other hand, Im sure there are some inshore ramps that go to a soft bottom that could be blown out....
                          \'78 Wellcraft V20,200 Merc[br]\'80 235-gone[br]\'75 23 Inboard-gone [br]Hayes, Va[br]

Comment

Powerloading is usually the way we do it....its fast and I dont see how it is dangerous for an experienced boater. The ramp I usually use is VERY deep......the natural current rips around there, the bottom is hard...no way to blow out the ramp.

On the other hand, Im sure there are some inshore ramps that go to a soft bottom that could be blown out....
                            \'78 Wellcraft V20,200 Merc[br]\'80 235-gone[br]\'75 23 Inboard-gone [br]Hayes, Va[br]

Comment

PS - Stroken- diggin the new sig pic!

Comment

Working...
                              X