Shaft length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft length?

How do I determine the shaft length on my motor? I believe it's been posted before but I can't find it.
    Tony C.[br]S. Daytona, FL[br]Boatless...for now[br]

Quickest way to tell is if you have a deep V bottom on your boat it's a xlong shaft - 25 inches. For a shallow V bottom it's a long shaft - 20 inches in the latest nomenclature. Years ago the shaft lengths were just called a long shaft (25 inches) or a short shaft 20 inches. I don't know when they started calling them long and extra long but it still the same measurement of 20 or 25 inches. If your motor has a data plate that is still on the motor, in the motor serial number there will be 2 numbers (if I remember correctly they are 20 and 25) which will designate the shaft length. Hope this helps a little -

Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

A 15 inch shaft is a short shaft. My 17 Whaler needed a 15 inch motor. I think it has always been 15 = short, 20 = long, and 25 = X long....and they even have 30's now (XX long).
      1988 171 Standard - new to me 1995 Johnson 115hp[br]1973 17 Standard - STILL looking for a nice used engine for this hull![br]\"You\'re gonna need a bigger boat.\"[br]Providence River Boat Company[br]http://www.providenceriverboat.com/[br]M/V Proud Mary[br]28\' Sylvan Supreme/90HP Evinrude Etec (tour/charter boat)[br]Providence, RI[br]Become a fan of the Providence River Boat Company on Facebook![br]

Comment

That's good information on the shaft lengths. Is that 15 inch shaft on a smaller motor like a 25 or 50 HP?
        1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Thanks guys. Mike, I don't have a 20 or 25 in my serial number. I have a 21. I thought there was a way to measure. Anybody????

Comment

The easiest way to measure your motor is from where the motor rests on your transom to the cavitation plate.

The easiest way to measure your boat is from the top of the transom where the motor(s) are located, straight down to where the edge of the bottom of the hull is located.
            Richie L.[br]Biloxi, Mississippi

Comment

Tony,

You can measure it with a tape measure.

If the motor is off the boat, measure from the bottom of the mounting bracket, (the "horizontal" flat where it sits/fits to the top of the transom), -to- the cavitation plate.

If the motor is mounted, simply measure from the top of the transom mounting flange -to- the cav plate...

BR's method will work also because the cav plate is SUPPOSED to be close to the dimension to the bottom of the hull...

good luck
              Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

The transom height of our 1988 Mako 231 is listed on the Mako spec page as: 25/30 inches. Stupid question: Does this mean that Mako built two models with 25 and 30" transoms, or that we can use either a 25 or 30" height motor. Current motor: Original 88 Yamaha V6 Excel 225 hp, (25" shaft I think). 460 hours, good comp., and running strong.

Thanks,

Randy
                1988 Mako 231[br]Jackson, MS

Comment

The Johnson website only lists 15 inch short shafts up to 40HP currently. When I bought my Evinrude 90HP 2 stroke new in 1990, it was a Short shaft (15 inch) for my old Whaler hull. I wouldn't be surprised if you can still special order them that length. If you needed to put a new motor on one of the old Whaler 17's (remember the blue interior?), you would need a "short" shaft. Back then they were available up to the 115 motor.

Tom
                  1988 171 Standard - new to me 1995 Johnson 115hp[br]1973 17 Standard - STILL looking for a nice used engine for this hull![br]\"You\'re gonna need a bigger boat.\"[br]Providence River Boat Company[br]http://www.providenceriverboat.com/[br]M/V Proud Mary[br]28\' Sylvan Supreme/90HP Evinrude Etec (tour/charter boat)[br]Providence, RI[br]Become a fan of the Providence River Boat Company on Facebook![br]

Comment

Thanks guys. Did the measurements. It's a 20" shaft.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Tailwind

The transom height of our 1988 Mako 231 is listed on the Mako spec page as: 25/30 inches. Stupid question: Does this mean that Mako built two models with 25 and 30" transoms, or that we can use either a 25 or 30" height motor. Current motor: Original 88 Yamaha V6 Excel 225 hp, (25" shaft I think). 460 hours, good comp., and running strong.

Thanks,

Randy

I noticed the same Transom height listing, 25/30, on the Mako Spec page. Does anyone know if this means 30" down the transom center line and 25" where twin motors would go. I need to know because I am replacing twin 25" motors with single motor. I need to determine if I should order the 30" shaft or stay with the 25". My boat is a 1984 254.

Thanks,

John
                      1984 Mako 254

Comment

my 71' mako 19 takes a 20" shaft some makers call them 21", I put on a 150 johnson 2001 ordered it as a short shaft(20").
                        chip[br]1971 mako 19\' / 2013 Pathfinder 22TE[br]Panama City,FL[br]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Orca254

I noticed the same Transom height listing, 25/30, on the Mako Spec page. Does anyone know if this means 30" down the transom center line and 25" where twin motors would go. I need to know because I am replacing twin 25" motors with single motor. I need to determine if I should order the 30" shaft or stay with the 25". My boat is a 1984 254.

Thanks,

John

That EXACTLY what those dimensions are saying...30" = Single & 25" = Twins...[][]
                          Working for a livin\' is HIGHLY Over-Rated...[][br]

Comment

Well I won't be able to use this 25" motor, but someone might be interested. This guy in Va has this 25" 225 E-Tec (with all controls and prop) currently running on ebay and ending in about an hour. Here's the title of his auction. And the current price is $6,301

2005 Evinrude E-TEC 225-HP - Almost New !

If I didn't need the 30" motor, I'd be bidding.
                            1984 Mako 254

Comment

Thats what i was trying to get at awhile back, some 25' or 254 makos i know had a single 25" shaft single engine on them! bolted to the transom no jack plate. did anyone ever see one with twin 20" shafts, i don't think so.( 25" for twins 30" for single) . there all the same cut transom on the 25'& 254. but evidently a 25" shaft single engine will work because they been using them like that for a long time. but anywho 30" for single . i just took pics of my transom with tape m on it will post later. fish on!
                              1974 23\' Mako [br]1980 25\' Mako [br]

Comment

Working...
                              X