yamaha tilt n trim corroded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha tilt n trim corroded

Hey all, i have a question regarding my 200hp yamaha power trim. Im not to familiar with them so i will ask you guys. my motor is a 1991 saltwater series 200hp the bleeder screw for the hydrolics seemes to have started to corrode around the screw, i just noticed it the other day since it seems to be hidden on the side of the bracket. when i touched the screw it popped out of the threds and spit fluid everywhere! The corrosion ate away at the threds for the bleeder screw. Is there any way i can either drill a bigger hole and tap it for a bigger screw (should i be worried about shavings getting into the cylinder?) or should i be looking for a new housing? Im trying to avoid buying a new tilt n trim because my trim motor is in perfect shape and there is not a bit of corrosion anywhere else on the trim bracket, thanx guys great site!
    1971 22ft mako, Saint Clair Shores,MI

Sounds to me like that trim and tilt unit will need to be removed from the motor. Once off there may be a slight chance that you could use a helicoil to fix the hole. That will require that you do some drilling and taping of the screw hole and using a larger screw to close up the hole. While doing that you do not want to get any drillings inside that housing as they can plug one of the valves that control the trim or tilt. You may also want to check at several of the dealers agound your area about getting a used part to use. I did once use a Helicoil to fix the hyd line that went from the main body of the T&T to the Tilt piston. Saved me about $800 bucks back in 1982. The drilling I needed to do was straight upwards so all the filings fell downwards and out of the hole and so there was no contamination of the fluid. Good luck -

Mike
    1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

tx for the info mike im gonna give that a try.

Comment

Yeeeesssss another "michigan mako" If you decide to replace that unit call "mad max" at hildibrand salvage in coldwater mi. he will probably have a housing for you. If you decide to repair what you have. use grease on the dril bit and tap it will help hold the shavings while you work. If your ever over on the "sunset" side of the state let me know. dave.
        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

That's a good idea about the greese on the drill. Haven't tried it but it sounds like something that would work well.

Mike

Comment

quote:

That's a good idea about the greese on the drill. Haven't tried it but it sounds like something that would work well.

Mike

I've heard of that for quick fixes on spark plugs without removing the engine head.
            18ft MonArk tri-hull: 140HP Mercruiser Alpha One - still in pieces...to be continued[br](I know it\'s not a Mako, but hey, its mine!)[br] Time\'s fun when you\'re having flies![br]president/hostmaster:[br]P.Ring Technologies[br]Cornerstone IT, LLC[br]LOUISIANA WEB HOST, LLC.[br]CompTIA Certified Professional A+/Network+ // Microsoft Registered Partner

Comment

The last time I used one of those Helicoils was back when I did that hyd line that went into the tilt cyl - 1985 or there abouts. The Helicoil kit - which comes with a special drill, a tap, a few coils and a special breakoff tool costs back then about $75 bucks but was worth every penny. The actual job of drilling, tapping and inserting the Helicoil took only about 20 minutes but there was about an 2 hours of thinking about it before I started. You know - trying to think of everything that could go wrong etc. It worked great and saved me about $450 and the time the boat would have been out of the water waiting for parts. Would have needed a new trim and tilt housing and someone to pull the motor off the boat and do the change over. Probably would have taken 2 weeks (or more??). I would recommend trying a Helicoil to fix something like that if you could.

Mike

Comment

are we the only 2 michigan makos? i might just give "mad max" at hildibrand salvage a call i have a friend looking at my trim unit to see if he can do anything with it, it pitted out to much to drill and retap,not enough there.when i get the unit bsck ill take some pics and maybe u guys might have some ideas.

Comment

There are actually 8 or so of us. Some participate regular. Salmon are hitting over here!! How is the waleye bite?? dave.
                  [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Working...
                  X