Merc 225 EFI problem... need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc 225 EFI problem... need help

Its my own fault... I layed her up for over 2 years without running her. I had no choice as the boat isn't finished.

Anyway, its a 2001 Merc 225 EFI. I fogged her and layed her up for a while. I built an upright stand so that I could crank her every now and then.

I hooked fuel and stuff up to her this afternoon and she fired onthe first try, but won't run. She kills after about 1-2 seconds. She revs right up and kills.

I just put fresh plugs in and it did the same thing. And this is brand new gas that she is drinking.

Any clues or suggestions?
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Do you have to pump the bulb to get it to fire again? If so, I think there is an inline filter somewhere underneath the mass of hoses and wires yo may check. The other thing I can think of is the oiler system. Working?
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

The filter under the cowling was fine (last time I checked)... I really can't tell if the oil pump is working. There is lots of smoke coming out when she fires and the plugs are nice and wet.

Comment

Maybe too much smoke then ?? lingering oil in the fuel lines? Is there an emissions sensor of some sort on the Merc EFIs? Just thinkin out loud.
        Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Not sure... I know jack about motors.[]

I posted this question on some motor forum as well.

Themarinedoctor.com and Iboats.com

Comment

Ed, doesn't that efi have a fuel pump? Is it running? Does it run after the engine starts? It sounds like the engine is not getting gas after it starts. Check your fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel ling going to the throttlebody and turn the keyswitch on. Fuel should come out the hose.....if not the pump is suspect. Hope this helps...Tony
            79 Mako 23[br]85 Wellcraft 18 fisherman[br]Hammond, La.

Comment

I need to know what the fuel pump looks like and I assume the throttle body is the part with the air intake flaps that open when you give it gas? If I take a pix of that side of the motor, can someone draw an arrow on the pix and send it back to me or repost it?

Comment

I am not a motor guy, but I do know that the excess smoke is from the fogging oil being burned off. It will take about 5 minutes for all of that stuff to burn off.

I agree that it sounds like you are not getting fuel. If you elevating the portable tank to the height of the motor or higher and disconnect the fuel bulb, will that help you determine if the fuel bulb is bad first before you dive into the fuel pump??

Comment

I don't think its getting fuel either. I put the tank a bit higher and got no different results. What I do know is that when it cranks, it only runs for 1-2 seconds and kills. Then I have to give the bulb a very small squeeze (1/2 squeeze) to get her to crank again. The fuel/water filter under the cowl is full. I am trying to figure out the fuel pump situation here... How can I tell if its working?

Comment

Eddie,

I had a kinda simular problems with my 150 Johnson Ocean Pro back in early March when I cranked her the first time this year.

Instead of grinding on the starter I took a sirenge (sp) and filled each cylinder with gas. I turned it over by hand to try and wash some of the oil out. I went in and ate a sandwich with the plugs out. When I got back and replaced the plugs she started right up. Still smoked like the dickens. If this doesnt work I would try DHadley, he seems to know what he is talking about.
                    Larry Smith[br]Pasadena, Tx[br]\'97 Mako 191

Comment

Whew! The beast lives! Not very smooth, but shes running for a few minutes at a time before killing. I had to drain the electronic fuel pump module of the old gas (varnish)... I didn't know that existed (like I said at the funament, I know jack about motors... just how to make them go fast[] )

I pumped it full of fresh gas and she came to life. Now, I have a warning beep (4 long beeps) going off so I gotta figure out what thats all about. At least she is running.

Stay tuned.

Comment

Eddie, do you have the intire wire harness pluged into the motor? or are you trying to start it manually?(hotwire) As posted above I dont believe your high pressure fuel pump is working. There may be saftys built in that prevent the pump from running. I.E. pressence of oil in the oil pump circuit. There may also be a fuse or circuit breaker that is causing this problem. Back to the fuel pump, The ones I am used to are a high pressure electric. you should here a hum or whine when the key is first turned on. this builds pressure. Sometimes there is a "shrader" valve in the high pressure fuel rail that allows the tech. to measure fuel presure. It might look like a tire valve. that is the place you would check for pressure. Go at is easy like and use your head. you can get a face full of gas. Have your fire ext. standing by anytime your messing with fuel;. At the very least you have kind of accomplished what you set out to do and that is fire it off and circulate some oil in the crankcase. dave.
                        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Ring-

The 4 long beps on the V-6 Mercs indicate water in the fuel filter/seperator on the engine. The filter should have a wire that attaches to the bottom of the filter, when a certain level of water is in the seperator, it will sound the alarm. The engine will also run like trash. There are 4 10mm bolts that hold the pump bracket in place, remove them to get to the filter. Pull the wire from the filter, unscrew and dump it in a clear glass jar. Merc says the filters can be dumped and replaced, for me I would replace as it is only $20 for a new one. Hope this helps.

BTW, got an email today that you shipped me something, what is it? I have no idea....

DB
                          Keep em\' Bent[br]----------<{{{{{{><[br]David[br]1999 Mako Bayshark 2100[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Michigan Dave,

She's running now, but I still may have fuel pump problems. I'm not sure. I can't hear the electronic fuel pump cycle like the book says it should when you turn the key to the RUN position. But at the same time, the whole time she was running (about 15 minutes) the bulb stayed rock hard... so she had to be pulling a little bit of fuel.

David,

Thanks for the info... I looked high and low for my owners manual... its in the house, just don't know where it ended up in the move. I pulled the filter and poured it out first thing today... it was clean. I'll do it again tomorrow as well as draining the electronic fuel pump module.. I know there was no water in the new gas I bought, but it could have been getting wind of the gas that had turned to varnish... We'll see. The motor sure as hell is running like shit. Maybe if I can get enough fresh gas through there she'll smooth out.

I still owed you a XXL long sleeve T-shirt! I got the new batch in a week back and am finally settleing out my IOU's. Still waiting on some visors to finish off the IOU's.

Comment

Michigan Dave,

I forgot to mention that I do have the motor completely hooked up to the harness and key/kill switch. The only thing not hooked up is the binacle (throttle/shifter).

Any thoughts are appreciated[)]

Comment

Working...
                              X