No announcement yet.

Gelcoat bubble . Should I__repair it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelcoat bubble . Should I__repair it ?

I have a bubble in the gelcoat just above the water line in the rear of the starboard side. It is about 2 inches across and has now cracked so it flexes when I touch it. Should this be fixed if so. How? Since I have never done any type of this repair work I don't even know where to start?

Thanks Paul
    1979 21 CC Mako, 2006 E Tec 225 Hp [br]Connecticut

I would check it definitely. Grind off the gelcoat bubbled area down to the fiberglass , visually inspect the fiberglass and wood behind it. If everything is ok, seal the fiberglass with a product like Interprotect Sealant from Interlux (many different ones out there), apply the gelcoat with proper fairing, and go fishing.

If there are problems behind the gelcoat in the fiberglass and wood, welcome to our little world !! [(#)][] The experts here will surely point you in a much more elaborate direction then. Do you own a saws-all? [88][88][88][(#)]
    Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will check it. I am afraid to pull away the bubble. This year has been a learning experience! Everything I try to fix starts by going four steps backwards. So far I have learned wiring. Bige pump, plumbing and location. Today's subject was drum brakes. Now for fiberglass repair. Wow. Thankfully all my little projects are just time consuming. Nothing major (and they beat real work).

When I start the bubble project I will have pictures.

Paul
      1979 21 CC Mako, 2006 E Tec 225 Hp [br]Connecticut

Comment

Working...
      X