Extreme makover home edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme makover home edition

Anyone catch the show last sunday where the owner got his house made over, and received a brand new 232 at the end?

The whole show was very touching, as this guy with his three children really deserved it, and I loved the fact that we were able to provide him with a boat to have some enjoyment with his children as well.

Saw that... I happened to walk past the TV right when they pulled up with the Mako232.
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

Comment

I'll make over my own house and take a new 284.... []

Was that a local dealer contribution or a corporate contribution?
      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

I guess you could say it was both.

Comment

Hey Ron-

I am a long time Mako buff. I grew up fishing on a neighbors 19 footer in Long Island sound and as an adult I have purchased two of my own Makos including my current boat, a 1991 231, which I absolutely love and run all over the coast of Massachusetts.

With that said, I think most of us know that you work for Mako/Seacraft at the Forest City, NC plant and understand that you have a job to do. However, I really don't think it is in good taste for you to come on to this website (or classicseacraft.com) and look for us to slap you on the back and say "attaboy" for public relations stunts that Tracker is doing to try and shore up the brand name.

If you really want to build the brand back to the glorious old days, continue working on building a better product (we've noticed the difference in quality and engineering in the last year) but importantly, stand behind it when something goes wrong. You will get more good "PR" when you happily fix an existing customers boat than you will ever get from giving away a free boat on a tv show. Word spreads fast and besides Mr. Morris should know that it is MUCH easier to keep an existing customer happy than it is to go out and find a new one.

One other thing...the number one rule in public relations is "it is much better to be heard than seen". In other words, let your product do the talking for you.

Good luck and tell the folks in engineering and manufacturing to keep working hard. It will take some time, but eventually the brand will come back.

Sincerely,

Comment

Well said Ed. My brother is an outboard mechanic at the local Mercury dealership and he sees a lot of the newer model Makos that have transoms cracking open. Most of the ones that crack/seperate have twins on them, and I'm sure that wide open in rough seas doesn't help the problem, but it is more noticeable on the Tracker version than the original Mako. Not everyone is as smart or boat savy as some would think. The only thing that some people know about boats is to put gas in it and drop the hammer, but when you see an early 80's model that has never had anything done to it and is still in good condition and you compare it to a new model that has a transom seperating there is a difference.

Comment

Ron: I was going to comment here about the show anyway! Thanks for your post.

Don't take it personal or too hard, sounds like you've exposed yourself to people venting from past frustrations and disapointments.

I know things are changing slowly and its a battle. Human nature is to be impatient. Everything sounds like your all on the rite road, I do hope it continues without restriction from upper levels.

[V]As for the Show... Wow.. Personally what a tear jerker. Some of you may know that as a "Portuguese Fisherman" from Cape Cod, traditionally I many years ago named my first Fishing boat(a mako) after my Mother for luck, I even had it blessed on the Mothers Day after nameing, and every vessel since. well It took a bit to recover after seeing a Mako with the name " ANN MARIE " proudly displayed on her side for their Mother.

I hope that as I, that many a wonderous day on the water " ANN MARIE" is lovingly remembered.[xo]

Since that show Ive been wondering if I should try to send the family some of the " Ann Marie " fishing team stickers and stuff we have. Let me go find a kleenex.

As For Mako and the Dealers who played a hand in that gift!

KUDOS. My hat is off to you.[)] You have my total respect and gratitude for what you did for that deserving family.

Respectfully yours

I Am

Jim Costa "Ann Marie III" Mako Fishing Team
              June 2009 Bimini Fishing Extravaganza---------------------------------------------------------------[br][br]Photo by Martha Costa.................................. Photo By George Poveromo...........................[br][br]2005 Mainship 400 Swift Trawler, Twin 240 Yanmar\'s w/thruster [br]sales distributor of: 2010 11\' Bluewater Baby w/2011 25hp Tohatsu 4str.[br]dinghiesndavits.com [br]ex: 1975 20a Mako[br]ex: 1992 221 Mako[br]ex: 2000 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]ex: 2002 George Poveromo Edition 282 Mako[br]Sarasota / Bradenton Fl./Falmouth, Ma. Cape Cod / Andros Bahamas[br]Founding President www.ManasotaMako.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ed Mancini

Hey Ron-

With that said, I think most of us know that you work for Mako/Seacraft at the Forest City, NC plant and understand that you have a job to do. However, I really don't think it is in good taste for you to come on to this website (or classicseacraft.com) and look for us to slap you on the back and say "attaboy" for public relations stunts that Tracker is doing to try and shore up the brand name.

If you really want to build the brand back to the glorious old days, continue working on building a better product (we've noticed the difference in quality and engineering in the last year) but importantly, stand behind it when something goes wrong. You will get more good "PR" when you happily fix an existing customers boat than you will ever get from giving away a free boat on a tv show. Word spreads fast and besides Mr. Morris should know that it is MUCH easier to keep an existing customer happy than it is to go out and find a new one.

One other thing...the number one rule in public relations is "it is much better to be heard than seen". In other words, let your product do the talking for you.

Good luck and tell the folks in engineering and manufacturing to keep working hard. It will take some time, but eventually the brand will come back.

Sincerely,

Ed, it was not my intention for trying to get an "attaboy" at all.

I just felt very proud of the fact that we were able to bring some happiness to a family that has been through so much grief in such a short time of their life. As far as my posting on ClassicSeacraft about Luis's boat, I was simply glad that he got a boat that he was impressed with the build quality of. I'm in no way associated with PR, I am an hourly associate who does the warranty repairs, reguardless of what several seem to think. I am personally VERY proud of the new product that we have going out the doors now, and I know that they are only going to improve. I have heard many suggestions from several members on both sites, and have communicated them to the people who matter, and I know that the majority of them are being looked into, and will most likely be implimented. Even though I an a low guy on the totem pole, so to speak, I am VERY passionate about our product, and strive to do whatever is in my power to improve it. I'm not on here looking, or even asking for respect.

In reguards to " public relations stunts ", you can see them as that if you like, but I beleive we are tring to get back to the company of old, the times when we did things for the mako owners like the Funamants and such.

Comment

I do believe that it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole bunch. But I would hope that this particular hull, that was given to this guy, would be better in quality than what has been sold in the past several years. I think many folks can deal with problems in any product, if the problems are dealt with on a timely matter. Thats the beef with the "new Mako". You know these things are a luxuary and a waste of money, in all practical sense. But some of the issues or defects are also safety issues.

Comment

Working...
                  X