Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HOW DO I REGISTER A MAKO WITH NO PAPERS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW DO I REGISTER A MAKO WITH NO PAPERS?

a guy on my block is selling a 18 foot mako without papers and i am trying to see if i can buy it but he has no registration for the boat.

anyone know how i go about doing this in New York?
    24 Privateer customized by Hurricane Sandy[br]

Well, I would first find out WHY he doesn't have any papers? Abandoned? Estate issue? I doubt you can register it without a title and notarized bill of sale. Contact the agency in NY that registers boats and ask about a "title search" or "duplicate title". They should be able to tell you who the last titled owner/register of the hull was, and then you'll have to get a new one issued to them, to then sign over to you.....in my experience this can be extremely easy.....or extremely hard.

Good luck.

Tom
    1988 171 Standard - new to me 1995 Johnson 115hp[br]1973 17 Standard - STILL looking for a nice used engine for this hull![br]\"You\'re gonna need a bigger boat.\"[br]Providence River Boat Company[br]http://www.providenceriverboat.com/[br]M/V Proud Mary[br]28\' Sylvan Supreme/90HP Evinrude Etec (tour/charter boat)[br]Providence, RI[br]Become a fan of the Providence River Boat Company on Facebook![br]

Comment

Section 59-21-31 of the Mississippi Code, prohibits the removal or alteration of awarded numbers or identification numbers affixed to vessels, boats, outboard motors and trailers has been amended. Additional language added to this section provides that no person may buy, sell or possess a vessel, boat, outboard motor or trailer on which any awarded number or identification number has been removed or altered.

Due to the increase in marine theft, a closer look is being taken at applications for boat registration when received. Applications for boat registration with required information missing or information which appears to be incorrect, will be sent back to the applicant along with a boat inspection form to be completed by a conservation officer. The application should then be resubmitted along with the completed boat inspection form. All home-made boats will be inspected prior to registration.

With your case in Mississippi, you will need a Notarized Bill of Sales signed by you and the seller. The hard part after that is actually registering the boat if there are no visible HIN numbers. I think this is Federal rules, so should apply or be close to what the Yank govt would require.
      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

In some states [not Fl] The hull numbers afixed to the foward portion of the boat are changed when the ownership changes.

Fl has where the numbers go with the boat, for the life of the boat.

Comment

I know in Rhode Island and Mass hull registration ID numbers stay with the hull for the life of the boat. They are on the state issued title. If you change states, then they change the registration number.
          1988 171 Standard - new to me 1995 Johnson 115hp[br]1973 17 Standard - STILL looking for a nice used engine for this hull![br]\"You\'re gonna need a bigger boat.\"[br]Providence River Boat Company[br]http://www.providenceriverboat.com/[br]M/V Proud Mary[br]28\' Sylvan Supreme/90HP Evinrude Etec (tour/charter boat)[br]Providence, RI[br]Become a fan of the Providence River Boat Company on Facebook![br]

Comment

You may need an indemity bond to cover your boat.

Comment

'guts,

Every state is different -- some states title boats and others do not. When I moved from NC (no title for boats) to FL (boats are titled here), the DMV here wanted a "Statement of Origin" from NC before they'd give me a title and registration. I'm sure NY has their own requirements.

I'm assuming the boat has the Vessel ID # on the starboard side of the transom. Take that number to the state agency where it was last registered and you will be able to get a start on a "trail".

You may want to also contact Mako Marine in NC and see what they have in their database for the boat.

Good Luck,

Prop Blast
              Prop Blast[br]Mako 224, F225[br]Tampa, FL

Comment

Try this

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/title/default.html
                A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. [br]Northport Occupied NY[br]1989 191 w/120 Evinrude

Comment

When I bought my boat in MA, the seller put a new transom on, so the Hull identificaiton # was ground off. I actually had someone from the environmental protection agency(?) come out and issue a new number to my hull. He just place a sticker on the transom and hid the another one. How that worked I have no idea, but I'm legal[(#)]
                  [br]Michael R. Delgado[br]1972 Mako 22[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15745[br]1976 Mako 25[br]http://classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18013&SearchTerms=mako,25[br]

Comment

Working...
                  X