Coast Guard Plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coast Guard Plates?

I have been told (questionable source) legally you have to have CG capacity plates posted on your boat. Does anyone know if this is true and if so where you can get them? The guy who did most work on my boat removed and I do not have.
    \'93 241 https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...etting-started
    \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

oh oh ..... I hope that's not true because I didn't save mine either. I thought the coast guard thing was only required for commercial vessels. But what do I know, I'm just an insignificant monkey boater.
    Steven[br]1978 Powercat 232[br]One flat broke, the other almost ready to float!!![br]Atlanta, GA

Comment

I've been checked more than once in 2 different states and nothing was ever said about my lack of capacity plates. The horn, uncharged fire extinguisher, and no Federal Tuna liscense (still trying to figure that one out) have been culprits, but never capacity plates.

I received a document in the mail that announced some new initiatives from the Coast Guard for the 2005-2006 season. The main two were:

1) All vessels journeying into International waters (2 miles past the barrier islands for you Gulf Coast boys) must have 2 sources of communication, ie 2 VHFs, VHF and Sideband, etc.

1) All distress location devices must be registered at the Coast Guard. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what that means specifically. Maybe Dave can help []
      Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

If my cell works 15 miles out - would that count? I have a handheld VHF but range is very limited.
        \'82 224 - Mobile, AL Gone but NEVER Forgotten - https://forum.classicmako.com/forum/...indshield-tank

Comment

Can't see why not. There were no specifics, just "forms of communication". Give your local Coast Guard a call and find out. I'd love to know thier repsonse. I plan on doing the same when I get home.
          Artie Sutherland[br]Rude Attitude -\'76 Mako 25 CC. - SOLD[br]1976 Mako 21[br]2002 Yellowfin 31 - 300 hp Suzukis[br]Gulf Coast, Mississippi[br]

Comment

ChuckB You need to put a fixed mount VHF on that boat.

Handheld's only put out 5watts.

The fixed mount will give you 25watt's.

No badge on mine.

"We don't need no stinking badges" [from one of Clint Eastwoods cowboy movies]

Comment

"All distress location devices must be registered at the Coast Guard."

I think that means that if you have an EPIRB on your boat the serial number needs to be registered with the Coast Guard so that if it goes off they will know exactly who it belongs to.

Tom
              1988 171 Standard - new to me 1995 Johnson 115hp[br]1973 17 Standard - STILL looking for a nice used engine for this hull![br]\"You\'re gonna need a bigger boat.\"[br]Providence River Boat Company[br]http://www.providenceriverboat.com/[br]M/V Proud Mary[br]28\' Sylvan Supreme/90HP Evinrude Etec (tour/charter boat)[br]Providence, RI[br]Become a fan of the Providence River Boat Company on Facebook![br]

Comment

Sounds right with EPIRBs. I'm wondering how the VHF DCS (?) (little red button) falls in that category. Can you register a VHF signal? [?]

Comment

There's a form some where that you can fill out online for the DCS.

Found it.[:x)]

http://www.boatus.com/mmsi/

Comment

warthog5 - I do have a fix mount (won't go offshore without) I was questioning 2nd device mentioned by rude attitude - weather handheld would count with limited range as 2nd device.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by warthog5

"We don't need no stinking badges" [from one of Clint Eastwoods cowboy movies]

I thought that was "Blazing Saddles." Did Clint do it first?
                      [br]1992 Mako 241[br]2000 Yamaha 150 HPDI\'s[br]Holden Beach, NC

Comment

The DSC thing is just getting started and some of the C.G units dont even have the equip. yet. You can register your DSC radio online through Boat U.S. There is a fairly compicated process you have to go thru to get your G.P.S to talk to your radio so your radio knows the Lats. Longs. to transmit. Follow your instructions included with your radio and Gps/. Couple of wires to hook up and the rest is programming. You must register your e-pirb with the Coast Guard so they know what type and discription of vessel they are looking for. it also helps them contact family for more info. Every new e-pirb comes with a easy to fill out form. Mail it in. You do NOT have to have a capicity plate on your boat to be legal. BUT there are formulas the Coasties have to determine legal loading and H.P ratings. You will get busted quicker for being overloaded. I dont think any tickets are written for overpowered boats unless there being operated in an unsafe mannor. Sorry for being long winded

dave
                        [br]1994 Mako 215 Dual console Optimax 225[br]1978 Mako 19 with 90hp johnson[br]1996 Mako 22[br]1982 Mako 171 Angler 135 Black Max Mercury[br]1987 21b 225 Yamaha[br]1974 23 inboard Gusto gone.[br]1979m21 225johnson \"blue dolphin\" bought off this board and restored [br]with everyone\'s help!!Gone but not Forgotten....[br]1979 20 Mako 115 Suzuki gone[br]1977 19 Mako 115 Johnson gone[br]1976 23 Mako twin 140 Johnsons gone[br]1983 224 with closed transom and bracket[br]And 162 SOB (some other boats)[br]Venice Florida, Traverse city Mi.

Comment

Graet stuff Wart. Exactly what we need. [)][)][)]

Comment

THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT REGISTERING YOUR DSC RAIDO AND YOUR EBIRB. YOU DO HAVE AN EBRIB AND A DSC VHF DON'T YOU.
                            OVER BUDGET[br]PEARLAND TX

Comment

Got an EPIRB (on back order) and 2 DSC radios + a cell phone. Thanks Dave. More great info.

Reading about the DCS capabilities, it's pretty slick how you can DSC position between boats directly. Also, you can recieve "distress" signals by monitoring channel 70. Still trying to work out the programming issues and MMSI numbers required to identify the "hailing" DSC signal. My ICOM 402S says it will recognize up to 30 preprogrammed vessels.

Comment

Working...
                              X