A bit of Mako History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of Mako History

On TheHullTruth.net, someone had asked what the difference's were between the Mako 210, 211, & 211B (No such model as the 211B) but that was the question.

I delved into the ClassicMako archives to create this:

Ed's Cliff Notes version.... From the archives.

The Mako 21 was put on the scene in 1978 it had a deeper V (19 degrees) than the Mako 22 and the 23 of the 1970's. This hull was made through 1983.

In 1984 Mako changed some things, added a few inches, shidt-canned the ugly yellow floor, and added some aft compartments to make the Mako 21B, which is what mine used to be before I lost my mind.

In 1989 they made some very minor changes (mostly in options) and called it the Mako 211. They improved the under gunwale rod storage and the deck drainage as well.

In 1992 they completely re-vamped the cockpit/layout, added some fuel capacity, added recessed trim tabs, closed up some of the motor cutout (notch), and called it the 211 Classic. This same boat became the Mako 22 in 1995.

The Mako 210 was a walkaround model introduced in 1989. They kept it onthe scene until the Mako 213 replaced it in 1993. The Mako 210 had some subtle changes during its years. Nothing major.

The Mako 221 came about in 1989 when they retired the time-tested Mako 224 (1980-1988). The 224 was a fabulous boat, and not many people will let one go these days. Especially cheap. Anyways the 221 was basically a 23' boat (LOA 22'8") and quite a performer. It was the 224 with a slightly different cockpit layout.

In 1992 Mako boosted the fuel capacity of the 221 and offered an optional 30" transom to accomodate twin outboards and keep some of the ocean out of the boat... A GLORIOUS IDEA! A very seaworthy boat. They also made a FULL transom model and called her the Mako 221B. In 1995 the 221 was renamed the 231 and the 221B was renamed the 232.

Here is a pix of the Mako 221 with the optional 30" transom:

Here are some pixs of a Mako 221B/232 model:

In 1997 Mako broke out a new hull design for the 221 designation and it is still produced today. It was given a little extra beam, a bit more deadrise, a bit more fuel, and a decent cockpit layout. I have spent many hours at sea in a 1999 Mako 221. In my opinion it is a fine performer for its size.

In 1998 Mako went to a euro-trash design for the 232. I don't like it.

Mako's new 212 model looks pretty good. We'll see. It has more beam and less V. Maybe a trade-off boat.

There was never a model designated the 211B.

I hope this has been helpful. I have thousands of pics of different Makos on the hard drive... Its just a matter of keeping the computer going!
    Slidell, LA 1993 Mako 261B - Temperance

That's quite a bit of great info. Thanks Ringleader. How about the same story line on the 20 and 25? [8D]
    1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
    1985 Mako 20c - sold
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

Good job Ring. That must have took some time to put together. I would have never guessed there were so many variations. I like the 3rd to the last pic of the Mako with the bracket on the water. Better get back to work on your boat....remember you have a new baby on the way! []

Strick
      Oakley, California

Comment

Thanks, It took a while to do. I plan to put a few of those on the webpage one day... But I'd rather work on my boat right now.[]

The bracketed boat in the pix is Jack Salisbury's Mako. Heck of a nice looking boat and a top notch guy who owns it.

I just put a coat of filler on the livewell mold and hit it with the DA. I just put up the paint tent in the garage and I'm gonna shoot a coat of the Duratec Surface primer on the mold.

Comment

As usuall Ringleader does a CLASS ACT. I agree with Strick. That is a NICE boat. My freaking arms are about to fall off from 6 1/2hrs of sanding today. But I'm happy with the progress.[]

That System 3 Quik Fair is paying for itself very nicely.

Comment

Ringleader - you better get that boat done soon! You won't be working on it when the baby comes....trust me. (BTW, back your bags at least four weeks in advance. Mine came 12 days early and another buddy had theirs 19 days early - the night after ours).
            1978 Mako 25 - Blind Hog
            1985 Mako 20c - sold
            Fort Walton Beach, FL
            http://www.classicmako.com/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=42841

Comment

GREAT JOB, thanks for the info

Comment

Great Stuff Eddie!
                1983 Mako 224[br]Onancock, Va.

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

Eddie - Mako should put you on a retainer. Great stuff! Do it again on the 25'.
                    Ole Joe
                    Just floundering around
                    White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                    1978 Mako 25

Comment

Mako only wishes they had someone who was as passionate about their boats and their roots as we are here. Thats why they suck now. They are too caught up in corporate bullshit and not involved in the day to day grind or making boats and serving customers.

I'll dig into the archives this weekend and see what I can dig up on the 25 series. I should have some good stuff.

Comment

Great timeline and photos Ed! Looking forward to seeing some of the other models too.
                        Capt Kevin ~~~><((((*>[br][br] 2520 MVSC \"Chesapeake Edition\"[br]Annapolis, Maryland[br]http://ClassicParker.com/

Comment

Eddie,

I don't know where your get all your energy. Your the best!
                          Ole Joe
                          Just floundering around
                          White Hall & Ocean City, Maryland
                          1978 Mako 25

Comment

And just when I was asking about the difference between the 70s and 80s 21 footers, you post this. Thank you a lot Ringleader and what a great site you have here. Archie
                            Boston Whaler Montauk 17\' and a project Seabird 23\'

Comment

RingLeader - In your research for this great piece about Mako Marine did you run across anything about the older flat bottom boats?? Say from the late '60's into the mid '70's (1973 22CC to be exact)? I have never seen any information about the boats of those years, except what I got from an owners manual that Mako sent me in 1980 - and that was for the boats of the late '70's. Also, Great, Great Job on the site []

Mike
                              1973 22 CC Milford, CT USA[br]

Comment

Working...
                              X