Throttle cable replacement on 76 17' Mako

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle cable replacement on 76 17' Mako

I have some bound up cables on my 17' mako. I am using a mid eighties mercury control box with an 86 90HP inline six Merc. Could someone guide me through the easiest way to swap out the cables. The PVC tube that all the wires runs through is kind of tight, and I'm wondering if there are any tricks for sliding new cables through and keeping the adjustments correct for the throttle linkage. Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated. BTW i'm a newbie to boat repair, I just replaced a corroded/snapped boweye, and I'm feeling kind of brave.

Tony Lopes[8D]
    Antonio E. Lopes

Tony I'll tell you the same as I tell everyone else.

Buy the Teleflex X-Treme cables and accept NO subsitute. You will be glad you did.

All the imfo is here:

http://www.teleflexmorse.com/s...V.pdf

They will take a tighter radius than any other cable and still move like they were on liquid ball bearings.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up warthog, I've got a set on order. Can anyone else help out with any feedback, tips or tricks? I assume that this is a PITA procedure, but there has to be some more input out there[?]
      Antonio E. Lopes

Comment

The control cables shouldn't be too much of an issue. I had a bitch of a time with the steering. Next time around I'm throwing down on a new hydrolic setup.

Good luck

SB
        Tim[br]1981 19 (project)[br]prior 1978 17 angler (sold)[br]

Comment

Throttle cables are not to bad getting through the tube. thay are thin and stiff so they slide through ok. Take your time and dont muscle anything. You will end up tearing up your other wires. Save the old cables for running other lines. They work much better than using rope to pass things. They are stiff so you can push and pull to get it. Make sure when you tape things together the connections are smooth otherwise it will hang on any loose wires in the rigging tube. good luck.
          1987 231 with 200 Yamaha[br]Stuart, Fl

Comment

I have found that if you cut off the motor ends of the old cables you can securely tape the ends of the new cables to them and pull them in pretty easily.

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
            X